1970 heater controls? No center console.

General chat about the car goes in here.
Luigi70spider
Your car is a: 1970 Fiat 124 Sport Spider

1970 heater controls? No center console.

Post by Luigi70spider »

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a 1970 spider. When I say recently I mean I pick it up in the morning, lol. I'm sure I'll find out but did all models come with heaters? My car has no center console and most of the cars I have seen have the center console with heater controls down by the hand brake. Did they move for 70 or does my car just not have a heater?

Thanks,

Mark
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: 1970 heater controls? No center console.

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Mark, your car just doesn't have a heater, but it should have one. Very early spiders (European models in 1967 and 1968) had an odd arrangement with the heater controls by the radio, but by 1969 the heater controls were definitely next to the handbrake. Both my '69 and '71 spiders are this way, exactly the same.

By the way, the 3 heater control levers (if you had them) would operate like this: The one closest to the driver is the amount of air let in through the cowl to the heater core. The middle lever controls the temperature (the valve for the heater core). The lever closest to the passenger is whether the heated (or unheated) air goes to the defroster vents on top of the dash or to the floor vents.

-Bryan
Luigi70spider
Your car is a: 1970 Fiat 124 Sport Spider

Re: 1970 heater controls? No center console.

Post by Luigi70spider »

Thanks Bryan, I thought as much. I'm not sure why anyone would choose to remove it but oh well some parts for me to source. The car is a Euro model. I'm based in the UK although the care is originally of European origin.