Easy, low-cost top?

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
stuartrubin
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124 Spider

Easy, low-cost top?

Post by stuartrubin »

I'm not looking for a museum piece, just a "good enough" replacement top for the rare occasions that I get stuck in the rain. My current top (it's old, but I don't know if it's original) has some pretty serious tears and the Gorilla Tape just isn't cutting it! Has anyone recently used any of these: https://www.topsonline.com/model/Conver ... pider.html?

Easy to install?

And what's the deal with the tonneau cover? I'm not even 100% sure I know what that is. Is it the flat cover that goes over the whole seating area? Do you need special hardware or anything? Worthwhile? (At Topsonline, it looks like it's not much more money to get one.)

Any suggestions for low-cost, easy tops?

Thanks!
Stuart
1975 FIAT 124 Spider
Il Mostro di Frankenstein
TheBender
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider

Re: Easy, low-cost top?

Post by TheBender »

There’s a lot of good places to source tops. I’ve read good things about the link you listed. I went with AutoBerry and couldn’t be happier.

https://www.autoberry.com/details.php?p ... gories_id=

I ended up having mine professionally installed but you’ll find many, many posts of people doing it themselves. Most of the posts tend to say 8 hours and helpful at times to have a helper. Some say 4 hours but that is a result of 2 things. Either they have done it before a few times, or the results are not that good (sagging top and not taught).

focodave
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000 F.I.

Post by focodave »

Stuart,

I purchased a Robbins top from topsonline a few years ago and I am very pleased with it.
I installed it myself -- it took me about 5 hours to do the job.
Tip: spend the little bit of extra money and buy the cables to go with the top like I did.

The only negative thing I experienced was that topsonline gave me a delivery date the was not even close to being accurate.
When I tried to contact them, I got lack-luster response from them and almost felt like they had a "laissez faire" attitude about things.
I finally received the top, about 3 weeks after it was supposed to have arrived, and it is a great top.
It fits well and it looks just fantastic on the car.

I highly recommend them, but I do caution you to not rely on their projected delivery date(s).

Dave
1980 Spider 2000 F.I. (my hobby)
1970 MGB GT (my other hobby)
2008 Ford Expedition (daily driver)
2019 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Standard
2019 Harley-Davidson Iron 883 Sportster
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I've installed several Robbins cloth tops, and I've been very happy with them. While cloth is more expensive than vinyl, I just think it looks "classier" and it tends to fold better. As for the vendor for these tops, I have bought them from one of the usual Fiat vendors (AutoRicambi if I recall) as well as other online sources. Topsonline and AutoBerry seem to get good reviews.

I did luck out once when I was in Southern California and found a very good quality cloth top for $175. Only problem was, the shop didn't want to sell it to me when they found out I wasn't a "jobber". But, they relented as they had already fabricated the top, and I showed up with cash in hand, so they finally begrudgingly sold it to me. It does tell me what the tops actually cost to manufacture at that time, at least at a sweat shop in the Los Angeles area. I doubt this experience will ever happen again.

As for cost, I'm thinking at least $500 for vinyl and up to $800 for cloth. Unless you can find that sweat shop in LA! :D

-Bryan
stuartrubin

Post by stuartrubin »

@TheBender, that top looks great! Is it the vinyl or fabric?
Stuart
1975 FIAT 124 Spider
stuartrubin

Post by stuartrubin »

TheBender wrote:There’s a lot of good places to source tops. I’ve read good things about the link you listed. I went with AutoBerry and couldn’t be happier.

TheBender, this top looks great! Is it vinyl or fabric?
Stuart
1975 FIAT 124 Spider
stuartrubin

Post by stuartrubin »

It looks like the least expensive option is this one from AutoBerry (https://www.autoberry.com/details.php?products_id=22) and I've seen at least one post on this site where someone had great looking results. What I can't tell is what else might needed?
Wires?
Glue?
Special tools?

This contrasts Convertible Tops Guys. They sell a complete "Package Special" (https://www.convertibletopguys.com/conv ... at-Spiders) but it's almost $200 more.

I'm not sure if I can (or should) reuse my wires. I have not real gage for their condition since I've never had a great top.

All advice is welcome! Thanks
Stuart
1975 FIAT 124 Spider
18Fiatsandcounting

Those AutoBerry prices do seem really good, and in fact I've never seen them so cheap. But maybe I haven't been paying attention.

A few thoughts:
1) If your cables are OK (not rusted or frayed), there is no reason you can't reuse them. The challenge is feeding them through the "channels" in the new top, but I suppose a straightened coat hanger could be used to do that. The tops I've bought came with new cables in the new top, but maybe recent versions have gotten "cheaper" and make you buy the cables separately.

2) Other than the top and the cables, all you need is contact cement and a brush to apply it. No need to buy anything special, and a $5 can of contact cement from Walmart will do just fine. Be forewarned that it is messy, and you will inevitably drip it into your hair and onto your skin as you apply it. It's just part of the fun! :D

3) I always disassemble the rib assembly of the top before putting on a new top, but it isn't strictly necessary. Just because I'm OCD I guess. Sand down any rust, repaint, fix any loose pivots, straighten the bows, etc. Especially the leading front bow which is often rusted.

4) If you have any issues with your rear quarter windows, now is the time to address them while you have the top off.

5) The quality of the finished product really depends on how much time you spend on it. Yes, you can crank it out in 4 hours (like most shops), but if you want to do a really great job, it's going to take more time. Maybe a lot more if you go the route of refurbishing the rib assembly as I mentioned above.

-Bryan
TheBender
Patron 2019
Patron 2019

Post by TheBender »

stuartrubin wrote:@TheBender, that top looks great! Is it the vinyl or fabric?
Thanks. It’s German Sonnenland Cloth. I don’t know if the Stayfast Cloth they sell now is the same or slightly different.
stuartrubin

Post by stuartrubin »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:Those AutoBerry prices do seem really good, and in fact I've never seen them so cheap. But maybe I haven't been paying attention.
Bryan, thanks for the detailed response. I'm going with the AutoBerry. We'll see what happens from there.
Stuart
1975 FIAT 124 Spider
18Fiatsandcounting

stuartrubin wrote:I'm going with the AutoBerry. We'll see what happens from there.
Let us know. It's about time for me to replace the top on my '69 spider, and I think this will be the 4th top. Lacking access to that sweatshop in LA, I may go the AutoBerry route.

-Bryan
Bagneaux

Post by Bagneaux »

I bought one from Tops online two years ago. I installed it myself and was very pleased with the results.
stuartrubin

Post by stuartrubin »

Thanks for everyone's input. I started a new post about the installation: https://www.fiatspider.com/f15/viewtopi ... 15&t=40687
Stuart
1975 FIAT 124 Spider