Charcoal Canister cap??

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
bdinardo
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat 2000

Charcoal Canister cap??

Post by bdinardo »

Hello all. I have a 1979 Fuel Injected Spider. The old charcoal canister had the small nipple broken off and no hoses hooked up to it so I replaced it with one from Auto Ricambi. That being said the new one didn't come with any sort of cap for the larger hole on the top and of course the old one didn't have one either. My research on this forum is showing that there is supposed to be a cap that has some sort of venting hole but for the life of me I can't find anywhere that sells a cap? Anyone out there have an extra one or recommendations on how to fashion a DIY version? Thanks in advance!

Brian
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Re: Charcoal Canister cap??

Post by TX82FIAT »

I think the OEM canister comes with the cap but the aftermarket one does not. With that said, I think it is a loose fitting cap with plastic prongs that grip the inside when pushed down into the hole. An idea could be to find a plain black plastic bottle cap with the right circumference and glue a couple tangs on the inside to fit it in place. I know it is not the preferred method but who would know looking down in the engine compartment. If they did know, they would congratulate you on your improvisation.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
bdinardo
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat 2000

Re: Charcoal Canister cap??

Post by bdinardo »

So I indeed ended up fabricating my own cap. I took a soft plastic cylinder piece, reamed it out to a few thousandths smaller than the charcoal canister, drilled a 3/32" hole in the middle of the cap for venting and pushed it into place with a drop of RTV to hold it on there but able to be removed if necessary.