Windshield removal/installation

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
neslam
Your car is a: 1977 124 Spider

Windshield removal/installation

Post by neslam »

I have a '77 spider undergoing a heavy refresh (restoration is too strong), with a windshield question. I have searched a few good posts but looking for another bit of advice.
The original windshield frame has original but serviceable glass, but the frame is rusted.
I have a second frame that is rust free, but has cracked glass.
Both frames are off the car.

I would like to remove the good glass from the rusted frame and then install it into the good frame.
How best to do this?
I'd like to remove the glass from both frames and swap the glass while the frames are sitting on the floor, then install the assembly onto the car. Is that reasonable, or is it better to install the good frame onto the car and then swap the glass out?

Any hints or booby traps?

Thanks,
Mike
sweet124
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI 124 spider

Re: Windshield removal/installation

Post by sweet124 »

Not sure if this would help https://youtu.be/3_hc4ky09zQ
1980 fiat spider under restoration
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I've never swapped the glass around, but I have removed/reinstalled the frame/glass assembly as a unit. You definitely want to get the frame and glass all set up while they are on a workbench (or the floor), and then mount it in the car. Also, I have heard that it helps to get the rubber gasket warm, like by putting it in the sun while you're doing the work, or even using a hair dryer. Using a mild oil like baby oil or mineral oil or even Vaseline might help.

-Bryan
dkmerth
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by dkmerth »

Would love to see pics of this process as it's done. I have a replacement windshield I intend to install at some point but a bit intimidated. The current windshield is delaminating at the bottom near the dash and appears foggy.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

dkmerth wrote:Would love to see pics of this process as it's done.
Search around on YouTube for "Fiat 124 spider windshield replacement" or the like. I know I've seen a few videos about this, and some might be helpful.

-Bryan
neslam
Your car is a: 1977 124 Spider

Post by neslam »

Thanks for the YouTube link and hints.
I'll let you know how it goes...

M
MrToon
Your car is a: 1978 CS1

Post by MrToon »

Having problems with the windshield assembly as well. Tried to mount the frame, gasket, windshield, and bottom trim but holes for the bolts on either side were of by half an inch. That seems like a lot to just compress the gasket, though we were being careful. Can anyone tell me where the V-groove should go: red or blue? From the outside in you have a flap over the wiper cowl, under the wiper cowl, the V-groove and then I'm wondering if the V-groove goes inside that sturdier lip or if it goes inside the V as well, then finaly the inside lip to the dash.

wetminkey
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1979 2000 Spider

Post by wetminkey »

Outside "flap" rides over (and forward of) the metal lip of the lower tray (in the cowl) that the windshield and gasket reside in.
The inner 'flap' goes over the edge of the top of the dash. I hope that helps,...
1988 Mazda RX-7
1979 Fiat Spider 2000
1978 3/4 ton Chev 4x4 P/U "FRANKENTRUCK"
1976 Camaro
1972 VW Superbeetle
1969 Ford F100
1968 Mustang coupe
Kiwispider
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Post by Kiwispider »

I had a pro installer do my re-install as I'd never attempted anything like that before, but now I've seen it done it is not too difficult. Best done with a helper.

Everything was cleaned properly first. He lubed the slot in the rubber where the glass goes with a thin smear of dishwashing liquid, fitted the rubber around the glass, and then installed the screen into the frame, all done on a bench.

He then inserted a length of rope (probably about 8mm diameter) along the entire length of the bottom of the rubber, in the slot between the rubber that sits into the Y frame on the car and the flap that will lap over the Y frame towards the interior of the car (kinda the right hand slot when looking at your photo). Both ends of the rope were taped to the inside of the windscreen to keep them out of the way and the rope in place.

We then placed the screen/frame assembly onto the car (this is where you need a helper). Make sure the front rubber flap that will overlap the cowl was not caught in the Y frame, and bolt the windscreen frame loosely to the car. Do not worry about the inside flap- the rope will take care of that. Once you are sure the bottom edge of the rubber is seated correctly in the Y frame, starting from one end you gently pull the rope out towards the interior of the car so that it brings the inside rubber flap to overlap outside the Y frame. Hope that makes sense.
Cheers

Trevor
wetminkey
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1979 2000 Spider

Post by wetminkey »

Great description, Kiwispider! That's the procedure!!
1988 Mazda RX-7
1979 Fiat Spider 2000
1978 3/4 ton Chev 4x4 P/U "FRANKENTRUCK"
1976 Camaro
1972 VW Superbeetle
1969 Ford F100
1968 Mustang coupe
MrToon

Post by MrToon »

Thanks guys! I'm gonna have a go at it this week with a helper. Seems like PO left an old, spongy kind of sealing in the windshield frame. No wonder we couldn't get the windshield with gasket properly seated.
MrToon

Post by MrToon »

The trick with the wire worked like a charm. 5 minute job with the three of us. For future reference though: the Y groove goes into the blue line on my picture. So starting from the inside, you have a flap that goes over the dash, then the thicker one that goes down under the dash. The wire goes inside the thicker one.

Will probably remove the windshield again because we didn't line up bottom chrome trim perfectly symmetrical.