High zinc motors oil content

General chat about the car goes in here.
Anbele
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000 CS2

High zinc motors oil content

Post by Anbele »

Soon to do the oil change on my 107k ‘79…was wandering about the board’s opinion on high zinc content motor oils.
On another note, I understand that Redline MTL works wonders on old manual transmissions…
kilrwail
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider

Re: High zinc motors oil content

Post by kilrwail »

Absolutely. You want both high zinc and phosphorus to protect your cams and valves. I use Penn Grade 20W50 in both my vintage cars, which used to be Brad Penn and originally was Kendal GT. Over 1200 ppm of both. Others will chime in with alternatives.

1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider - original owner
1977 Porsche 911S - track car
2022 Ram 4 x 4 - hauler
PCA National Instructor and Motorsport Safety Foundation Level 2 Instructor
Nut124
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Post by Nut124 »

I use Penn Grade 15-40 Semi Synt.

However, for the previous 25 years I ran Fiat twincams with various oils incl Castrol GTX and Mobil 1 Full Synt. Took out a cam that was run hard for 20 years and it was in perfect shape.

I think the zinc content is more of a concern with american flat tappet V8s where cam and lifter wear is common and an everyday topic at their forums.
neslam
Your car is a: 1977 124 Spider

Post by neslam »

Anbele wrote: On another note, I understand that Redline MTL works wonders on old manual transmissions…
A friend in the lubricants business recommended PennGrade Classic multi-purpose gear oil, GL-4. Specifically for old transmissions where the synchros can apparently be damaged by modern GL-5 (and GL-4 / GL-5) gear lubes.
I had some MTL and it looked pretty thin, so I didn't use it.
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

I would not use PennGrade Classic multi-purpose gear oil, GL-4 in the Fiat Spider sycromesh trans. I know this is stated to be yellow metal safe. However, is it non-EP as well. GL1 90 is what the car is designed to use for the transmission. There are several brands to choose from, Millers, LubeTech, Napa, Bardahl. I used redline MT 90 and had significant metal in the old when I changed it back to GL1. As for the engine, right on with the zinc and 15W40 or 20W50 depending on climate you are driving in. Change the engine oil at the lesser 3000 miles or once a year.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
neslam
Your car is a: 1977 124 Spider

Post by neslam »

My owners manual specifies non-EP (extreme pressure) SAE 90 weight, so I'll stick with my grey haired lubricants guy's advice with GL-4 PennGrade Classic multi-purpose 80W90 gear oil for now. That said, it is a recent oil change so I'll see what it looks like at next oil change.
I had asked him about GL 1 oil and he said no, so I took his word for it.
Oils can be debated forever, (ask the vintage Porsche guys!), but that's my 2 cents worth.

Previous stuff had been in there for a very long time - no idea what it was.

The axle does specify EP oil.

Cheers.