Steering making groaning noises

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
FiatRunner
Your car is a: 1973 Fiat 124 Spider

Steering making groaning noises

Post by FiatRunner »

Over the weekend I completed my steering linkage "rebuild". Every single rubber boot was torn, or in one case, completely missing. Very glad that it's done, the steering feels much better, but I still have an issue.

The steering makes a very loud, screeching or groaning sound when I turn the wheel. It also increases the steering difficulty. I assumed this was the passenger-side tie rod joint on the center link, but once I replaced it I realized that the noise was coming from the steering idler assembly. I tried to move it by hand, and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't.

The screeching or groaning is especially evident when it's cold, it seems to lighten up a lot once the engine gets hot, I'm thinking because the aftermarket 4-2-1 exhaust is right next to it.

Any ideas? Is this a "just replace it" situation? Has this been covered here before?
1973 Fiat 124 Spider
2000 Toyota Tundra Limited
1968 Larson All-American speedboat
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Steering making groaning noises

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

It's fairly common for the steering idler box to go dry over the years, with the result being that the steering gets really hard and can lead to noises like you're hearing. A few thoughts:

1. The idler can be replaced with a new unit, but you have to make sure your Pitman arm fits the new idler, or get a new Pitman arm that fits the idler and the rest of your steering linkage. Many people go this route.

2. The idler can also be rebuilt in the sense that it is taken off the car and cleaned up, and then refilled with 90W oil.

3. If you haven't already, take the top cover off the idler and verify that it is filled with oil. They often go dry over the years, and sometimes all it needs is more oil. This might help, but it doesn't always completely fix the problem.

4. If you jack up the front of the car by the crossmember, with both front tires attached but off the ground, you should be able to grab hold of one wheel and fairly easily swivel the steering from one end to the other. If you can, the steering is fairly "normal" and the issue could be elsewhere (like ball joints). If you can barely move it, then yes, definitely something wrong, and the idler box is the first thing I'd look into.

5. You can also unscrew the tie rod so that the wheel is loose from the steering system and then see if you can rotate the wheel without any issues. If you can, then your ball joints are probably OK. Make sure you make note of how many threads are showing on each end of the tie rod ends so you can screw it back into exactly the same position. Otherwise your front end alignment will be messed up (specifically the toe-in).

-Bryan
FiatRunner

Post by FiatRunner »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:It's fairly common for the steering idler box to go dry over the years, with the result being that the steering gets really hard and can lead to noises like you're hearing. A few thoughts:

1. The idler can be replaced with a new unit, but you have to make sure your Pitman arm fits the new idler, or get a new Pitman arm that fits the idler and the rest of your steering linkage. Many people go this route.

2. The idler can also be rebuilt in the sense that it is taken off the car and cleaned up, and then refilled with 90W oil.

3. If you haven't already, take the top cover off the idler and verify that it is filled with oil. They often go dry over the years, and sometimes all it needs is more oil. This might help, but it doesn't always completely fix the problem.
I am positive that the noise and resistance is from the idler box. When I had the tie rods and center link removed, I tested the ball joints for play or resistance, and there was none of either. I tried to move just the arm, without either of the links attached, and I couldn't, no matter how hard I tried.

As far as troubleshooting goes, I removed the top cover, held on by the three allen bolts, and I could see what looked like 4 check valves. A little bit of oil came out, but not much. Is this what I'm supposed to see? Does it come apart more without removal from the car?

Thanks for the help!
1973 Fiat 124 Spider
18Fiatsandcounting

FiatRunner wrote:As far as troubleshooting goes, I removed the top cover, held on by the three allen bolts, and I could see what looked like 4 check valves. A little bit of oil came out, but not much. Is this what I'm supposed to see? Does it come apart more without removal from the car?
I agree with you that it sounds like the idler is the issue. And yes, you can do some more disassembly after you remove the top cover. The idler has 3 main parts: 1) The top cover held by the 3 Allen bolts, 2) a 1/4" or so think steel plate that contains the ball bearing check valves, and the lower body that is attached to the car.

You've removed the top plate. Now you should be able to twist or pry off that 1/4 steel plate. It may be frozen, so try tapping on it (lightly with a hammer) while turning it, etc. If you can get that off, you will see the central shaft with two vanes in the cavity. That cavity should be full of oil. If not, there's your problem. Note that if it is bone-dry, it may take new oil plus some working of the steering back and forth to get it lubricated again. For now, let's assume the idler is not damaged.

By the way, I just use 90 weight gear oil for the idler. The steering box takes 90W EP (extreme pressure) oil like you'd put in the differential. People have used all sorts of different oil in the idler, to get it to turn smoother or have different damping characteristics. You could start with some lighter oil until you get it freed up, then suck out that oil and replace with 90W gear oil.

-Bryan
FiatRunner

Post by FiatRunner »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:You've removed the top plate. Now you should be able to twist or pry off that 1/4 steel plate. It may be frozen, so try tapping on it (lightly with a hammer) while turning it, etc. If you can get that off, you will see the central shaft with two vanes in the cavity. That cavity should be full of oil. If not, there's your problem. Note that if it is bone-dry, it may take new oil plus some working of the steering back and forth to get it lubricated again. For now, let's assume the idler is not damaged.
Great, thanks! I'll try this right now and report back.
1973 Fiat 124 Spider
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

I've replaced the stock passenger idler with the AutoRicambi bearing unit. Great improvement after trying to rebuild and re-oil the original unit with no improvement. As mentioned above, make sure you get the right size for your car. Thanks, Ray
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
FiatRunner

Post by FiatRunner »

Well, I took off the 1/4 plate, and sure enough... bone dry!

I didn't have any straight 90 weight, but I had 75w90 EP and I figured that was better than nothing. Filled 'er up, put it back together, and drove around my neighborhood swerving back and forth for 20 minutes. It didn't work at first, but slowly... surely... it went away entirely!

Now, it steers effortlessly compared to before, and there is zero noise. It still needs an alignment very badly, and who knows? It might leak out in a couple days... but for now? I happy as can be.

I thank all of you for your help, and I encourage you all to get out and drive! It's warming up here in Chicago... I can't wait for the Spring and Summer.
1973 Fiat 124 Spider
18Fiatsandcounting

Great, glad to hear it helped! I think you're fine with 75w90 EP oil. You don't want to use EP oils in the transmission because the sulfur additives in the EP oil are not compatible with the brass synchros. I'm not aware of any brass / bronze in the idler, so I'm thinking an EP oil is fine.

Try it for a while and see how it does. Your biggest issue might be that the oil slowly leaks out the bottom seal, which is another challenge. Some just live with it and make sure to top off the idler every once in a while. Fiats leak oil to mark their territory, you see. Don't want any MGs wandering into the neighborhood... :D

-Bryan
FiatRunner

Post by FiatRunner »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote: Fiats leak oil to mark their territory, you see. Don't want any MGs wandering into the neighborhood... :D
Now that's something I can agree with! My car leaks every single fluid.

I'll drive the car around a little bit and see what happens. I think that the heat from the exhaust also loosens it up a bit, as I noticed that it still creaks just a little bit when it's cold.

And if I end up needing to just buy a whole new one, it isn't a big deal. Anyways, thank you all for your help!
1973 Fiat 124 Spider