1971 hazard switch wiring

Gotta love that wiring . . .
adavis
Your car is a: 1971 Fiat Spider 124

1971 hazard switch wiring

Post by adavis »

Ok its my fault....I didn't take pictures when I removed the center console of my 124 to replace the heater valve and carpet. Now I'm trying to reinstall everything and I'm having trouble with the hazard switch and courtesy light. I've studied the wiring diagram in the owners manual and the one in my Haynes manual but am still not having any luck. I'm hoping someone can tell me which wire(s) connect to which terminal on the switch and light. My car is stock with original wiring. Thanks.
adavis
Your car is a: 1971 Fiat Spider 124

Re: 1971 hazard switch wiring

Post by adavis »

Here's a pic of what I'm dealing with. Its the back of the center console...cigarette lighter on left, hazard switch in middle and courtesy light on right. I don't know where the black and white/black wires that are connected to same space terminal go to either...maybe the radio??
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: 1971 hazard switch wiring

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

If it helps, here are the wire colors for the 3 items in the center console on my '71. I don't have a radio. These wires should be somewhat bundled together to each of the three components.

Cigarette lighter: 2 yellow wires (the illuminating light for the lighter), a big red wire (+12V from Fuse 1), a black and a black/white (ground).

Hazard switch: Red, Grey, Yellow/Black, and 2 white wires. See below for how it's connected.

Courtesy light: White (+12V), white/black (ground), and 2 black wires together (to the door jamb switches).

Here's how the hazard switch is wired. Looking from the back of the switch (the terminal side) and with the top of the switch facing upward, the grey wire goes to the connector in the top left. The yellow/black wire goes to the terminal to the right of that, somewhere in the top middle of the switch. The 2 white wires on on the bottom left connector, and the red wire is connected to the terminal in the bottom right. So, it looks like:

Grey...........Y/Blk.
........2 white..........Red

-Bryan