need top installer near Pittsburgh PA

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
GM68124Spider
Your car is a: 1968 FIAT 124 Spider

need top installer near Pittsburgh PA

Post by GM68124Spider »

I have the FIAT corp No America intro show 1968 124 Spider (I bought it after FIAT was done with shows, have classiche certificate, original invoice, window sticker, etc).

It was show condition until it suddenly wasn't. Loong story, I will share when I'm done with restoration. Right now I need reference to a reasonable top installer near Pittsburgh PA. I can get a black cloth stayfast top for $350. The guidebook the upholstery biz uses says it's a 4.5 hour job, I know a high-end shop who says he's done this top in 2.5.

I am from So Fla, and am surprised at (1) conceited attitude of shops near Pgh, (2) their lead times of 4 weeks to 3 months, (3) their refusal to use a top they didn't buy & markup, (4) installation alone of $1000!

I have a generous $800 total budgeted. I am ready for the top we are at final assembly week 7/5/21.

Any one know a reasonable shop near Pgh?

Thanks,
Gary
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: need top installer near Pittsburgh PA

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Gary, I can't help you with a shop near Pittsburgh, but a few thoughts:

1) $350 for a cloth stay-fast top is an excellent deal.

2) I've done several spider top replacements (I'm not a professional), and I usually figure a half-day to a full day. 2.5 hours seems almost impossibly quick, given that there are almost always rusted bolts, broken things that need to be fixed, etc. I also repaint the metal frame (bows) before installing the new top, which adds days for drying.

3) Yes, $1000 to install does sound high, unless they are doing super quality work and straightening your metal frame, repainting it, replacing seals, fixing any issues, etc. Labor rates these days seem to start at $100/hr for anything automotive related. Supply and demand.

I would be very interested in hearing the story of your car! There aren't many '68s around.

-Bryan
GM68124Spider
Your car is a: 1968 FIAT 124 Spider

Re: need top installer near Pittsburgh PA

Post by GM68124Spider »

Just to update: Found a upholstery shop near Pgh who will take my purchase and install for $500. No need for any extra work.