Interior Trim

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: Fiat Spider - 1971 BS1

Interior Trim

Post by seabeelt »

Does anyone know of a source for the clips that hold the chrome strip between the arm rest and the window I believe there are 4
Michael and Deborah Williamson
1971 Spider -Tropie’ - w screaming IDFs
1971 Spider - Vesper -scrapped
1979 Spider - Seraphina - our son's car now sold
1972 Spider - Tortellini- our son's current
AlexD
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Re: Interior Trim

Post by AlexD »

If you’re talking about the clips that hold the chrome strip where the lower door panel and upper door panel meet, I believe they’re rather hard to come by or generally not available based on discussions I’ve seen about them. I’ve heard a number of members here talk about manufacturing their own out of thin strips of sheet metal and one person clipped the head of one of those old style paper fasteners so it fit the channel in the trim piece and used that (which I thought was pretty crafty). I’ll be replacing my door cards this winter and will try to salvage my old clips if I can - otherwise I’m going to take a stab at bending up a few as needed.

Of course, there’s always the option of finding donor parts from someone parting out a car or maybe a local you-pull-it yard that has a spider or two. I’ve also seen a few door cards in rough shape for cheap on eBay - if the trim is there then it could be a good option at the right price.
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

You mean these?

Vicks has had them for a while and they are $1.36 each:
https://www.vickauto.com/FIAT-PARTS/FIA ... KU-50-6051

You could just cut them out of steel flashing with some tin snips.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I think he is looking for these:
https://www.midwest-bayless.com/Fiat-12 ... er-u8.aspx

They are somewhat hard to come by, so I tend to hang on to them when I find them. They can easily be straightened out and reused, and I've also made my own by filing down the head of a machine screw to fit in the trim channel, and then putting a nut on the inner side of the door card to hold it. More secure, and you can remove them as often as you need without wearing out the clips. Use thin nuts and a Dremel tool to cut off the excess screw so that the door car can press flat against the door frame.

-Bryan
davidbruce
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Post by davidbruce »

Hmmmm......looks like the same thing to me?
Dave Kelly
Campbell River B.C.
1973 Sport(sold)
1980 Spider 2000(project, aren't they all)
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

davidbruce wrote:Hmmmm......looks like the same thing to me?
Used ones are more likely to break for a little less money so I'd go with the new ones myself.

You can make an awful lot of them in short time though from a foot long sheet of steel flashing.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I agree that the Vick's part looks like the same thing, but I wasn't quite sure since it was flattened out in the picture. I have bought some from Midwest-Bayless in the past, before figuring out that the modified machine screw/nut method was a better long term solution. It holds the trim strip more securely, and it's removable as many times as needed.

-Bryan