Wiring harness

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Noaki

Wiring harness

Post by Noaki »

I recently reaqquired my dad's old '82 from a family friend. He's had it the past 6 years and has done alot of work on it. Unfortunately, he's a general contracter and not an electrition... and it shows. His idea of removeing the radio was cutting all the wires going to the back off and wrapping the bundle in electrical tape. Any time he fixed anything to do with the wiring he followed the same lines... there are quite a few sections where wires are spliced together with just tape.

So I'm looking at gutting and redoing all of the wiring. I've been looking around for a harness to make this easier and found this. They claim that it works on any Fiat, but I'm not 100% certain and thier toll-free line has been busy.

Anyone have experiance with replaceing the entire wiring system? Or do I get to pioneer things by trying to recreate the wire harness myself? :shock:

EDIT:
I finally got through on the phone with them. They don't directly support Fiat but claim that the harness will still working if I could find some adapters for it. If I'm going to have to adapt everything then I might aswell work on making my own over the summer if I can't find one... this'll be a long summer :roll: I might need some help with pictures of missing connections and placement of some wires that came loose. Hopefully I can get this thing made without all too many problems.
jacksplace

Post by jacksplace »

Noaki:

You might check with some of the members who are parting out cars. Also, I believe I saw recently a complete wiring harness for some model of the 124 on EBay.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

adapting a universal harness, or making your own will be quite a project. Jacksplace has a good suggestion to find the right harness
Mad-Machine

Post by Mad-Machine »

I do feel for you. My old 76, EVERY wire in the centre console was purple. Some PO had ripped out all the stock wiring to the radio, lighter, light, heater fan, and four way flasher and rewired it in the exact same shade of purple wiring.

I am so glad I never had a problem with the 4 ways in that car.

If everything works for now.. I would just replace all the tape splices with butt crimps and as time allows, replace each section as you go.
kimu

Post by kimu »

I think Bruce at the Bin might have a NOS. I bought on from him but had to return it because it was for a newer model spider.

http://fiat.nng.ca/wiring_harness.htm

I bought one complete off of one of forum members.

Good luck.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Wire harness

Post by spider2081 »

I would spend the extra money and get the crimp connectors from an electrical supply house. Also buy a quality crimper. Doesn't have to be the ratchet type. AMP makes good connectors and tools.
I agree if almost everything is working first get a wire diagram. Then start to replace taped connections with crimp connections. Be sure to pull on the connection once crimped. A good crimp can not be pulled off the wire by hand.
If you have something not working let us know and somebody here will help.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

I'd suggest not crimping if you decide to repair the old harness, solder every connection possible. Crimped connectors can be very troublesome in the long run and should be considered a temporary repair.