Hood weather gasket seal

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
TomandAlex
Your car is a: 1980 124 Spider

Hood weather gasket seal

Post by TomandAlex »

The rubber weather gasket under the hood is coming loose. I've tried a couple different products over the last month to attach the rubber strip to the metal but neither product resolved the issue. Anyone have a recommendation on what to use to keep the rubber attached?
seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: Fiat Spider - 1971 BS1

Re: Hood weather gasket seal

Post by seabeelt »

Are you talking about the ones on the side front or rear piece attached to the cowl
Michael and Deborah Williamson
1971 Spider -Tropie’ - w screaming IDFs
1971 Spider - Vesper -scrapped
1979 Spider - Seraphina - our son's car now sold
1972 Spider - Tortellini- our son's current
TomandAlex

Post by TomandAlex »

Hmmm... she only has the ones on the sides.
aj81spider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by aj81spider »

I replaced mine when I painted the car (all of them). As I recall they were just pressure fit. I didn't glue them with anything.
A.J.

1974 Fiat 124 Spider
2006 Corvette
1981 Spider 2000 (sold 2013 - never should have sold that car)
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I'm not sure about a 1980, but on the earlier spiders, there are 4 rubber weatherstripping seals for the hood. The front and two sides are just attached with the metal clips built into the seals, and the rear seal is attached with a special hard plastic sleeve and 4 small screws that hold it to the front of the cowl (under the hood). Or maybe that hard plastic was built into the original seal.

The rear seal is available, but the plastic sleeve is nowhere to be found these days, so I just ended up going to Home Depot or the like and buying some black cabinet trim pieces (like edge protectors) that could be cut for the purpose. I suppose you could just skip the plastic sleeve, but the rubber seal tends to get wavy if you don't have something to keep it straight and flat against the cowl sheetmetal.

-Bryan
TomandAlex

Post by TomandAlex »

aj81spider wrote:I replaced mine when I painted the car (all of them). As I recall they were just pressure fit. I didn't glue them with anything.
Hmmm... I like that idea. The seal is getting really annoying being in the way when working on the carb. Maybe I'll look for some new. Also the hood has been vibrating when driving. Wonder if the cowl strip will help with that.
18Fiatsandcounting wrote:I'm not sure about a 1980, but on the earlier spiders, there are 4 rubber weatherstripping seals for the hood. The front and two sides are just attached with the metal clips built into the seals, and the rear seal is attached with a special hard plastic sleeve and 4 small screws that hold it to the front of the cowl (under the hood). Or maybe that hard plastic was built into the original seal.

The rear seal is available, but the plastic sleeve is nowhere to be found these days, so I just ended up going to Home Depot or the like and buying some black cabinet trim pieces (like edge protectors) that could be cut for the purpose. I suppose you could just skip the plastic sleeve, but the rubber seal tends to get wavy if you don't have something to keep it straight and flat against the cowl sheetmetal.
Will have to go look at the passenger side to see if I can feel the clips and look to see if the 1980 had the cowl strip.
18Fiatsandcounting

TomandAlex wrote:Also the hood has been vibrating when driving. Wonder if the cowl strip will help with that.
Maybe, but probably not as much as you'd like. Check to see if you have the two hood pads, located near the tips. They look like:
https://autoricambi.us/hood-end-pad/
and rest against the cowl under the hood to keep the hood from vibrating.

Another source of hood vibration is the lack of the engine pan around the front of the engine. These are almost always removed as they are a royal pain when trying to work on the engine, but they do reduce hood flapping.

-Byran
TomandAlex

Post by TomandAlex »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:
TomandAlex wrote:Also the hood has been vibrating when driving. Wonder if the cowl strip will help with that.
Maybe, but probably not as much as you'd like. Check to see if you have the two hood pads, located near the tips. They look like:
https://autoricambi.us/hood-end-pad/
and rest against the cowl under the hood to keep the hood from vibrating.

Another source of hood vibration is the lack of the engine pan around the front of the engine. These are almost always removed as they are a royal pain when trying to work on the engine, but they do reduce hood flapping.
Truth be told, we took the hood latch assembly off the car a couple weekends ago, stripped it down, cleaned it, reassembled the assembly and put it back on. The hood was being difficult latching at times and the cleanup seems to have helped. Just seems like the hood vibrates more now than before. As far as the hood pads. There's a couple of black things out there, but they look more like foam than the rubber pads that you linked to. Will have to take a closer look. Thanks for that link. My 76 had cone pads if I recall correctly and I actually looked for them years ago when I first got this 80.
TomandAlex

Post by TomandAlex »

So I'm not sure what you guys are calling clips, but I took a better look at the rubber seal and it's metal covered by rubber. I was able to crimp the metal down so that when the strip was put back on the car, friction keeps the strip on the car. So much nicer having that weather strip stay attached.
18Fiatsandcounting

TomandAlex wrote:The hood was being difficult latching at times and the cleanup seems to have helped. Just seems like the hood vibrates more now than before.
You may have adjusted the latch mechanism so it's too high and thus not "pulling" the hood down as much as it should. So the hood vibrates. Try loosening the two nuts and moving the latch mechanism down just a tad, perhaps just 1/8" or so. Then retighten the nuts.

Getting the latch mechanism right is a bit of an art, at least on the older cars. Not too tight, not too loose, and just right side-to-side.

-Bryan
TomandAlex

Post by TomandAlex »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:
TomandAlex wrote:The hood was being difficult latching at times and the cleanup seems to have helped. Just seems like the hood vibrates more now than before.
You may have adjusted the latch mechanism so it's too high and thus not "pulling" the hood down as much as it should. So the hood vibrates. Try loosening the two nuts and moving the latch mechanism down just a tad, perhaps just 1/8" or so. Then retighten the nuts.

Getting the latch mechanism right is a bit of an art, at least on the older cars. Not too tight, not too loose, and just right side-to-side.
Yeah that was my thought as well as latch didn't click when the hood was closed. I actually played around with adjusting the placement some yesterday after I posted. It clicks now but I haven't had it for a drive yet to know if the vibration was reduced.