1980 Spider Air Horns

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
TomandAlex
Your car is a: 1980 124 Spider

1980 Spider Air Horns

Post by TomandAlex »

I used to have a 1976 with original air horns. Our 1980 has a, well, it has a car horn. I miss the airhorns on my 76. Anyone try putting airhorns on a 1980 or above? Not sure if there's room or not.
dinghyguy
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1981 spider

Re: 1980 Spider Air Horns

Post by dinghyguy »

I put them in my 79. No problem.
Just need to make a bracket to mount the compressor and horns. I used the same wiring and plugs so if I want I gage back to stock
Cheers
Dinghyguy
1981 Red Spider "Redbob"
1972 blue Volvo 1800ES "Bob"
1998 Red Ford Ranger
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

If all else fails, one option is to mount the horns in the space in front of the radiator. I did that on one of my spiders, although the reason why escapes me at the moment.

-Bryan
TomandAlex

Post by TomandAlex »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:If all else fails, one option is to mount the horns in the space in front of the radiator. I did that on one of my spiders, although the reason why escapes me at the moment.

-Bryan
Will go that route if all else fails.
dinghyguy wrote:I put them in my 79. No problem.
Just need to make a bracket to mount the compressor and horns. I used the same wiring and plugs so if I want I gage back to stock
Cheers
Dinghyguy
Wasn't sure what year stopped the air horns. I was hoping they fit in the space. I'll have to take a look next time I'm in the garage. I guess the next question is.. anyone know where I can get 76 air horns? :D I've actually looked at some stores online and most only have the orange replacement horns. No clue what they sound like, but I want me some 76 horns.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

TomandAlex wrote:No clue what they sound like, but I want me some 76 horns.
They sound like a baby pig that got stuck, and someone's stepping on its tail. In other words, classic European!

They occasionally come up for sale on Ebay, but they tend to be overpriced. Try putting a "wanted" ad either on this forum or Mirafiori. My impression is that the air horns for the spider were all the same (two trumpets, one slightly longer) until they were replaced with smaller electric horns in the mid 70s.

-Bryan
Jefe
Your car is a: 1978 124

Post by Jefe »

TomandAlex-
I was also hoping to find a set of the old horns.
Have you had any luck?
Any suggestions as to where I should look?
Thank you!
TomandAlex

Post by TomandAlex »

TomandAlex-
I was also hoping to find a set of the old horns.
Have you had any luck?
Any suggestions as to where I should look?
Thank you!
I haven't been coming around as much lately. I actually just started working on this project tonight! I found a set from a member either at this forum or another, likely both. Decent price. Not sure if they work, will find out soon enough. I spent a couple hours trying to clean up the assembly before trying to attach. I think my next effort will be to test them before I put too much time in mounting them.

Funny thing is I was looking for info on how to mount them and found my own post. Full circle!