Anyone know what this is?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
LBCKEV
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider

Anyone know what this is?

Post by LBCKEV »

This socket is under the dashboard on the drivers side of my '78 Spider. It doesn't really look like a light bulb socket, so I can't really figure out what it's for. Anyone know? An ancient Italian OBD port? :wink:

18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Anyone know what this is?

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

LBCKEV wrote:An ancient Italian OBD port?
Sort of. I can't see the image, but I know what you are talking about. It is a special socket that you could plug in a troubleshooting light that had a long cord on it. This light was an option when the car was sold new, but practically no one bought this option as a flashlight was much simpler and cheaper. As such, the light is extremely rare, and I have only heard rumors of someone actually having had one at one point.

Most of us just ignore that "power port", although I guess you could tap into it for accessories and such.

-Bryan
lfthndmnkywrnch
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Re: Anyone know what this is?

Post by lfthndmnkywrnch »

Wow - thanks! I was wondering what that was…figured it might be for a small light in the driver’s footwell. Cool!

The PO wired the radio into the circuit so when I forgot to reconnect it following my pedal box saga, no radio. Easy place to grab constant 12v, I guess.

Happy 4th,
Matthew
1982 Spider 2000 (weekend driver)
1997 Passat TDI (daily driver)