Replacing brake calipers and pads on 1979 fiat 124 spider

General chat about the car goes in here.
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Re: Replacing brake calipers and pads on 1979 fiat 124 spider

Post by SteinOnkel »

DieselSpider wrote:
SteinOnkel wrote:
DieselSpider wrote: Bright brass replacement seats and threads are really only good for iron calipers.
I doubt that; wilwood (and most other performance calipers) are shipped in exactly that configuration.
The ones installed on mine tell a far different story since there was galvanic corrosion of the aluminum threads that was so severe that a new insert could not be installed since they had already used the max size ones available so no drilling out and tapping to the next larger size was possible. With the correct bedding compound to limit galvanic corrosion applied in a sanitary factory environment to pristinely clean new calipers they may hold up better however as a DIY solution applied to a used caliper go with bleeder repair kits that are fully compatible with aluminum.
Exactly. This goes far beyond this one issue; I don't see why you guys are spending the time, money and effort to try and fix these calipers when new ones can be had for so cheap.

But hey, y'all do y'all!
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

SteinOnkel wrote:
DieselSpider wrote:
SteinOnkel wrote:
I doubt that; wilwood (and most other performance calipers) are shipped in exactly that configuration.
The ones installed on mine tell a far different story since there was galvanic corrosion of the aluminum threads that was so severe that a new insert could not be installed since they had already used the max size ones available so no drilling out and tapping to the next larger size was possible. With the correct bedding compound to limit galvanic corrosion applied in a sanitary factory environment to pristinely clean new calipers they may hold up better however as a DIY solution applied to a used caliper go with bleeder repair kits that are fully compatible with aluminum.
Exactly. This goes far beyond this one issue; I don't see why you guys are spending the time, money and effort to try and fix these calipers when new ones can be had for so cheap.

But hey, y'all do y'all!
Lets see... $15 to $20 buys the rebuild kits for all 4 wheels and $5 a bleeder repair kit if one is messed up so $20 to $25 total while a set of new calipers from one of our vendors range from $240 to $470 so 12 or more times more costly and not quite what I would call cheap. This is why some here can buy one of these cars for say $1,500 and for another $1,000 get them fully roadworthy while others will end up spending 10 to 20 times that to do the same repairs. As for me I have less than $3,000 into mine including the original purchase price, tires, brakes, wheel bearings, starter, alternator, clutch cable, interior door panels, OEM seats that I am in the process of rebuilding and upholstering making my own seat covers in fabric better suited to our weather, bodywork and a new top. Its a rolling restoration that I have been driving for several years now plus extremely reliable and economical especially considering the 40 to 50 MPG diesel engine that powers it.
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

You don't have to be rude >:( Which part of "y'all do y'all" do you not understand?

To OP: A set of new rear calipers is $135: https://autoricambi.us/rear-brake-calip ... e-over-10/

It also comes with the infamous washers and the rubber boot + clamp. All replaceable wear and tear items.
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

SteinOnkel wrote:You don't have to be rude >:( Which part of "y'all do y'all" do you not understand?

To OP: A set of new rear calipers is $135: https://autoricambi.us/rear-brake-calip ... e-over-10/

It also comes with the infamous washers and the rubber boot + clamp. All replaceable wear and tear items.
Never heard that expression before since nobody in my association speaks in that regional manner only understood today by some living in parts of the Southern US. I try to refrain from using colloquial or slang expressions only understood in certain parts of the country and if I do for example throw out a Sicilian colloquial expression familiar only to Sicilians or a regional expression only well understood in certain areas North of Boston I spell it out for everyone else.

I only commented on "I don't see why you guys are spending the time, money and effort to try and fix these calipers when new ones can be had for so cheap." because those parts are not cheap to Joe average. Some folks can afford to spend many thousands of dollars on a hobby while others got what was generally understood to be the "Poor Mans Sports Car" because it was something a person could afford even if they were not relatively wealthy. I understand that some view an income of $50,000 to $100,000 a year as barely scraping by and feel the cost of these parts is cheap however many of us make half to less than half that amount and view those parts as very expensive so are therefore extremely happy to put in the extra labor of installing $20 or less in caliper rebuild kits for all 4 calipers instead of paying out 10 to 20 times that amount which could cover a few months of our utility bills or groceries. I was not rude and did not call you names or imply you were stupid, just stated the facts honestly and straight forwardly answering the quandary that you posed as to "why?".

I plainly quoted the price to renew the full set of all 4 calipers using rebuild kits and compared that in an apples for apples comparison to renewing the full set by purchased new ones instead which is indeed around $240 for all 4 from Vicks or AR and around $470 for the set of all 4 from the likes of Mr Fiat as that is truthfully the price range being charged for the standard parts and not the upscale competition versions. I did not include any additional cost for shipping the parts though.

Rebuilding them yourself whenever possible instead of replacing them with new ones purchased over the internet is also more environmentally sound since you are not scrapping all those lbs of aluminum, etc because your are not usually shipping back the old calipers to be rebuilt when you order new ones over the internet so end up disposing of them locally instead. I am making an honest effort to rebuild and renew instead of needlessly replace as a blanket rule, even when it may seem cheaper to throw the old away, just to do my part in ending/offsetting the wastefulness that has become so prevalent in our society.
PaulC
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider 2000

Post by PaulC »

My previous post illustrated what a few dollars in parts plus some elbow grease can do for a set of calipers. We even renewed the rear ones with the ebrake device and are quite happy with the results, plus the satisfaction of doing it ourselves.
Personally I enjoy bringing something old and grubby back to life again.
To wit: current project is a 64 Vespa Allstate with a stuck engine and seriously needing a paint job.
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

My goodness you are easily the most pretentious person I've come across on the internet in a long, long time! Excellent work shoving people into pigeon holes. And the nonstop use of stereotypes, just a fine thing all around.

You've got a lot of growing as a person to do. Good luck with that. And have a nice life too, yeah?
scrapironchef
Your car is a: 79 Spider

Post by scrapironchef »

This whole discussion is avoiding the most important question - Exactly what shade of red should I paint my calipers?