Turn signals and Hazards

Gotta love that wiring . . .
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: Turn signals and Hazards

Post by spider2081 »

Intermittents are often traced to fuses and fuse contacts at the fuse panel. I like to replace all the original fuses with ones that have brass contacts.
YoukaiMori
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider

Post by YoukaiMori »

Yeah it turns out that the fuse in the hazards position was a 16amp instead of a 25, the fuse itself was good but I didn't realize the fuse was wrong. I've since replaced ALL fuses with the correct ones, I still have no high beam on the right head light unfortunately so it definitely needs replaced but everything else is going good still.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

YoukaiMori wrote:I still have no high beam on the right head light unfortunately so it definitely needs replaced but everything else is going good still.
It could be a bad headlight (high beam burned out), but also check the electrical connector for this headlight, the one near where the battery used to go on the earlier models. This connector (and the one on the opposite side of the engine bay for the other headlight) are often a source of problems.

-Bryan
YoukaiMori
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider

Post by YoukaiMori »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:
YoukaiMori wrote:I still have no high beam on the right head light unfortunately so it definitely needs replaced but everything else is going good still.
It could be a bad headlight (high beam burned out), but also check the electrical connector for this headlight, the one near where the battery used to go on the earlier models. This connector (and the one on the opposite side of the engine bay for the other headlight) are often a source of problems.

-Bryan
Oh, good to know I hadn't checked that connector, I took the entire headlight out and checked where it connects directly to the headlight and checked the grounds for the signals/markers and I believe the headlights ground into the same place but I never double checked, I'll get in there and see if it's that connector. I need to do some wiring on the right marker light anyways, when I installed the right signal I had to disconnect the marker temporarily because the wire isn't long enough for both things to reach, super simple but isn't affecting anything so I haven't gotten around to it. Perfect time to check that connector I'll be in that area lol.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

This connector (and the one on the opposite side of the engine bay for the other headlight) are often a source of problems.
This connector on a 78 Spider is shown to be a 2 pin connector one pin is for the lo beam and the other is for the hi beam.
The ground for both would them be made by a short wire from the headlight bulb connector to the chassis by one of the headlight bucket mounting screws Being as the lo beam works on that bulb the ground must be satisfactory.
An easy test for this system is use a test light and probe the pins in the 2 pin connector.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

spider2081 wrote:The ground for both would them be made by a short wire from the headlight bulb connector to the chassis by one of the headlight bucket mounting screws Being as the lo beam works on that bulb the ground must be satisfactory.
Yes, and since rust often appears around those headlight bucket mounting flanges, I sometimes run a separate ground wire from the headlight bulb connector to a better ground on the car body. This can also help with headlight brightness, as the original ground on the mounting flange was often marginal.

-Bryan