horn issues

Gotta love that wiring . . .
seawood
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

horn issues

Post by seawood »

Where to start....
Horn is not working. It is a very necessary part of the car where 60% of the cities population are seniors ( I'm one) and just plain daft drivers.( not one of those : ) )
So, with the schematics and multi meter I have concluded there is power to the relay in the violet and it will send power down the yellow to the horn ( works) when we fiddle with it.
However, I pulled the steering wheel and the contact ring does not look in the best shape, as well as one of the copper contacts is broken.
I see one contact is a black and grey wire and the other is black and violet wire which goes to the relay.
has anyone had issues with the horn contacts at the steering hub and resulting in the horn not working. What is the effort required to swap out the hub containing the turn signals, high beam and wiper controls. This assembly has the two horn contacts in it, one of which is broken.
At first glance it looks to be a nightmare in following the wiring loom back to a couple of connection blocks. Maybe replace the broken contact somehow??
Almost time to insure for driving. I have the other issues dealt with but the horn is the last thing.
Chris
Naramata, BC Can.
Usually the sunny Okanagan
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: horn issues

Post by spider2081 »

has anyone had issues with the horn contacts at the steering hub and resulting in the horn not working
This is a fairly common problem. The slip rings on the steering wheel hub sometime wear through but more common is one of the wiper contacts breaks or wears off and no longer makes contact with the slip ring.
You might post in the "parts wanted" section of this site for used replacement parts maybe someone in Canada can help you. I think shipping from USA gets expensive for Canadians.
It is challenging to disassemble the steering column switch assembly and replace the horn contact assembly. I think most folks would purchase the entire new switch assembly and replace it that way.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

seawood wrote:I see one contact is a black and grey wire and the other is black and violet wire which goes to the relay.
Chris, as spider2081 mentioned, the slip ring and contacts are often the issue. Also, I would check 2 things if you still have the steering wheel removed: 1) if you ground the black/violet wire, the horn should come on, and 2) the black/grey wire should connect to ground. You might have to check the latter with an ohmmeter or the like.

The above test may be confounded by a bad slip ring, but my recollection is that if you get to the actual wires, they should behave as noted above.

By the way, I have refurbished those steering column switch assemblies, but it's not for the faint of heart. The rivets can be drilled out, everything cleaned up and fixed, and then put back together with small machine screws. Tricky, but it can be done.

-Bryan
seawood
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Post by seawood »

Thanks for the info.
The slip ring looks like it has had better days, worn right through where the wire contacts the ring, and I think I should be able to get the broken contact out,
I believe there are used replacement parts available down in Vancouver and will likely get those this week.
Still going to jump the contacts to the ring and try the horn button.
Getting closer to spring insurance and driving..
Naramata, BC Can.
Usually the sunny Okanagan