parcel shelf vinyl

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
jskinner96
Your car is a: 1985-5 Pininfarina Azzurra Spider

parcel shelf vinyl

Post by jskinner96 »

Does anyone have any experience with replacing the vinyl in the parcel shelf? I purchased some vinyl that was a really close match only to find out that it needs to stretch to be able to fit in there all in one piece like the one that came out. I'm learning more than I thought I would about vinyl and upholstering. From what I can tell so far it seems like I need a 4 way stretch vinyl? Does anyone have experience with this or a vendor you would recommend to find a vinyl that will work with this application? Thanks!
1985.5 Pininfarina Azzurra Spider
wetminkey
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1979 2000 Spider

Re: parcel shelf vinyl

Post by wetminkey »

I posted on 'the other forum'. My '79 did not require 4-way stretch vinyl for any part of the interior,...I'm unsure of what part of the rear of the car you are trying to recover,...but it may be 'cause my '79 is different.
1988 Mazda RX-7
1979 Fiat Spider 2000
1978 3/4 ton Chev 4x4 P/U "FRANKENTRUCK"
1976 Camaro
1972 VW Superbeetle
1969 Ford F100
1968 Mustang coupe
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

I installed a parcel storage shelf in my 82'. Did not need 4 way stretch vinyl. I was able to cut a little larger than needed and overlap in unseen areas. Used a heat gun for some stretching but not much needed. Don't have access to a pick right now. Made one big door with foam padding and aluminum strips screwed in on top so items placed on shelf are not sitting directly on Vinyl. Staple gun, piano hinge, plywood and upholstery spray glue.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
jskinner96

Post by jskinner96 »

thanks. I just heard from another member that the 1985.5 was the only car made with this storage bin under the parcel shelf. The storage bin is what I'm actually trying to put the vinyl in. I may just order some 4 way stretch vinyl and give it a shot.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

There's a Joann Fabrics store in Fort Walton Beach, which looks pretty close to where you are. You could also look at what they have, as I've used the store in my town for a lot of vinyl, cloth, and upholstery projects. And everything is pretty much always 50% or more off, either with a coupon or a sale.

-Bryan
jskinner96

Post by jskinner96 »

yes sir Bryan! Been in that store many times! I've tried them, Michaels and some local fabric stores. I just got back online and found something that I'm hoping will work. A 4 way stretch vinyl that looks like black leather. I'll send a pic when it's all done. I still need to find the damn hinges now. They're very specific so hard to find and I think even harder for me to create. But I'll get to work on that too. Thanks for the advice.
wetminkey
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1979 2000 Spider

Post by wetminkey »

I bought some absolutely perfect 4-way stretch vinyl for my Spider dash from eBay,...just search. It was inexpensive, and I was able to match the grain - in black, of course. Worked/stretched great!
Hinges must be part of the storage bin that you guys refer to,...
Best of luck with your project!
1988 Mazda RX-7
1979 Fiat Spider 2000
1978 3/4 ton Chev 4x4 P/U "FRANKENTRUCK"
1976 Camaro
1972 VW Superbeetle
1969 Ford F100
1968 Mustang coupe
jskinner96

Post by jskinner96 »

funny you say that. That's exactly where I found the 4 way stretch vinyl that I ordered yesterday! I've decided that I'm going to wire brush those hinges and get them cleaned up to see if I can reuse them. One area is pretty rusted but I may be able to add some sheet metal there to reinforce it. Maybe paint them with POR15 (except the hinge area of course) and see if I can reuse them. I'm hoping to have it all put back together this weekend. That's the last piece to the interior restoration and I'll be glad to have it done. We're about to have a stretch of some good weather so I'd love to be out driving it. Thanks for all the great ideas.
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

The original 83-85 parcel shelf does not have a storage box but is carpeted over. Someone must have modified at some point if you have hinges for the storage already. Finding a Piano hinge is pretty easy.
https://www.guden.com/Control/Continuou ... 7abf824e74
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
jskinner96

Post by jskinner96 »

What I've learned is the 85.5 had a different storage area than the previous models. This definitely wasn't modified at all. Everything in the car is original and this storage area is definitely original. You can see the storage bin on this website http://www.pininfarinaazzurra.com/the-1985.5-page.html. And piano hinges are definitely easy to find but this specific hinge is straight/flat on one side and has three bends on the other side of the hinge. I even ordered a piano hinge and attempted to do the bends myself in my vice but that didn't work. I've found piano hinges with two bends but none with three. And if I did find it each bend would have to be the correct length to fit everything correctly. Hopefully I'll be able to clean these up and reuse them. Otherwise I think I'd have to get a machine shop to have them made. If it weren't such a pain to post pics on this site I'd post a pic of the hinge so you could see how odd and different it is.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

jskinner96 wrote:You can see the storage bin on this website http://www.pininfarinaazzurra.com/the-1985.5-page.html.
Thanks for that website as I hadn't appreciated how unique (rare) the 85.5 spider is. That being the case, I think it would be worth the time and money to get the best hinges you can, even if that means having custom hinges made. You mentioned trying to clean the existing hinges, but could you take them to a plating shop to be cleaned (sandblasted, whatever) and then refinished with chrome or the like?

-Bryan
jskinner96

Post by jskinner96 »

You're welcome Bryan. I could definitely have one of the hinges professionally redone at a plating shop. One hinge is in real good shape. The other is questionable though. I'll put a little a more effort into seeing if I can locate or build new hinges. I am trying to restore everything back to as original as possible so you're right that it would be worthwhile getting the best replacement on there as possible.