Wiring under the passenger side dash

Gotta love that wiring . . .
BroederGabby
Your car is a: Fiat 124 Spider 1976

Wiring under the passenger side dash

Post by BroederGabby »

Under my passengerside dash I have a metal plate with 4 electrical components.
1 relay with 4 connections
1 black box with 6 connections
1 white box with 2 connection
1 metal box with 2 separate connections...

I think the black box is the tachometric switch and the with is for the catalytic converter. (I can be wrong)
The other 2, I have no clue...

The car is from 1976 and has al the smog equipment removed as wel as the catalytic converter...
Can anyone help me identify these components?

Thank you!
aj81spider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: Wiring under the passenger side dash

Post by aj81spider »

I have a set of 1976 wiring diagrams (that I can send you if you PM me your email address - they are .jpg and reasonably sized so it will come over several emails). The sheet that shows where the relays are has three things identified in the dash on the passenger side:

- Seat belt warning delay switch
- Fasten belts relay
- Fasten belts and remove key buzzer

Hope this is of some help.
A.J.

1974 Fiat 124 Spider
2006 Corvette
1981 Spider 2000 (sold 2013 - never should have sold that car)
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Here's what I can offer with the caveat that this info is from several sources and may not be 100% accurate. I believe you have 4 electrical components: Idle Stabilizer, and as A.J. noted above, Warning Buzzer, Fasten Seat Belts Delay Switch, and Fasten Seat Belts Relay. Taking each part in turn:

Black box with 6 connections: I believe this is the idle stabilizer, a component used on 1975 and 1976 California models, and it works in conjunction with the idle cutoff switch on the carb. Note that it should have a connector socket with 8 spots, although only 5 of the spots are active (that is, they have a spade connection). The colors to that should be: White/Black, Grey/Red, Brown/White, Black/Violet, and Blue. For what it's worth, the Fiat part number is 4348155.

Metal Relay with the Orange/White and Black/White wires: This is the warning buzzer for the "fasten seat belts" and "remove ignition key" feature. Many owners hate the annoying buzz, so this is frequently disabled or removed.

White connector with box: I believe this is the "fasten seat belts" delay switch, and the wires to it should be Light Blue/White, Blue/Red, Black/Violet, Red/Black, Violet/White.

Fasten Seat Belt Relay: The wires to this should be Pink/Black, Light Blue/White, Blue/Red, Black (and White Black to the same connector).

Hope this helps...

-Bryan
BroederGabby
Your car is a: Fiat 124 Spider 1976

Post by BroederGabby »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:Here's what I can offer with the caveat that this info is from several sources and may not be 100% accurate. I believe you have 4 electrical components: Idle Stabilizer, and as A.J. noted above, Warning Buzzer, Fasten Seat Belts Delay Switch, and Fasten Seat Belts Relay. Taking each part in turn:

Black box with 6 connections: I believe this is the idle stabilizer, a component used on 1975 and 1976 California models, and it works in conjunction with the idle cutoff switch on the carb. Note that it should have a connector socket with 8 spots, although only 5 of the spots are active (that is, they have a spade connection). The colors to that should be: White/Black, Grey/Red, Brown/White, Black/Violet, and Blue. For what it's worth, the Fiat part number is 4348155.

Metal Relay with the Orange/White and Black/White wires: This is the warning buzzer for the "fasten seat belts" and "remove ignition key" feature. Many owners hate the annoying buzz, so this is frequently disabled or removed.

White connector with box: I believe this is the "fasten seat belts" delay switch, and the wires to it should be Light Blue/White, Blue/Red, Black/Violet, Red/Black, Violet/White.

Fasten Seat Belt Relay: The wires to this should be Pink/Black, Light Blue/White, Blue/Red, Black (and White Black to the same connector).

Hope this helps...

-Bryan
This helps a lot. Everything you said seems legit and is right for the color coding.

Seems I can safely remove all this stuff.

Thanks again!

Best regards
Tom