CA Bay Area Alignment Shop?

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
maxm50
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider

CA Bay Area Alignment Shop?

Post by maxm50 »

Hi all,
Can anyone recommend a trusted alignment shop for the Spider in the CA Bay Area or thereabouts? I realize that these are a little outside the norm - spacers, must use exact torque settings, must align while laden, etc. I'd like to go to someone that's done Spiders before and won't balk at the archaicness of it all. Anyone have a recommendation?

Steiny, Bryan, I'm lookin' at you!

Thanks!
Max
1981 Fiat Spider 2000
2011 BMW 335i M-Sport
1971 Honda CB450 Twin
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: CA Bay Area Alignment Shop?

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Hi Max, I wish I had a good answer for you. I haven't really done an exhaustive search, but I do know that a shop that isn't familiar with the double wishbone design of the spiders (and many other older cars) could make the alignment worse. I had one alignment done on my '69 spider years ago that resulted in very stiff steering, until I finally took it to another shop to set it right.

Let's see what Steiny and GeoSpider have to say on the matter. For what it's worth, I believe these are the specs for an UNLADEN 1978 spider:

TOE: +.157 to +.314 (+4 to +8mm)
CAMBER: -0*20' to +0*40'
CASTER: +2*40' to +3*40'

-Bryan
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Post by SteinOnkel »

I took it to Hensley's in Santa Rosa. It's fine, it won't eat tires now, but it is stiffer steering than before.

If you really want a shop that will align anything to your heart's desire - Trackspec Autosports. They corner balance race cars, so a Spider is not beyond them. Bring a book, though. You have to sit in the car and it takes a loooong time.
toyfiats

Post by toyfiats »

Auto Options in Berkeley. I've been going there for almost 30 years. They are the only shop that I've had do alignments on my Spiders, and they are always spot-on.
geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Post by geospider »

I have not delved into this too much.
I have talked to a few of the guys at different shops.
if you have done your research, you will know if they know their stuff.
Talked with a young guy, Branden (at 57 everyone is a young guy) at Firestone in pleasant hill. He is way into all the track stuff and knew what I was talking about. came out and looked at it. seemed to understand the nuances of these types of cars.
I have not had the time to get in there. Funny, I replaced all the suspension and steering components some time ago.
measured everything as it was, etc. has tracked dead straight and the tires do not show uneven wear for over a couple years. steering wheel is a bit off center, but I am almost over that; a few more counseling session and all will be fine,.

someday

Geo
maxm50

Post by maxm50 »

Thanks, guys! This is great info. I'll give Auto Options and Trackspec a call. Much appreciated!!

Cheers,
Max
1981 Fiat Spider 2000
2011 BMW 335i M-Sport
1971 Honda CB450 Twin
geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Post by geospider »

resurrecting an old topic.
Just spent a few hours at my local Firestone.
Thanks to Bryan for the "unladen" specs.
Carlos was great: let me in the shop: worked through the numbers,, since degrees and minutes is not what their machine uses. got everything set with understanding that the specs are not in the computers range,, but the young guy got it.

finally did this after doing the front bushing...again. the last ones cracked quickly..
what a difference. tighter and far more responsive.

Hats off to Pleasant Hill Firestone

Geo