1985 side mirror

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
jskinner96
Your car is a: 1985-5 Pininfarina Azzurra Spider

1985 side mirror

Post by jskinner96 »

I purchased a driver side mirror from Auto Ricambi and it did state the wires would be a bit longer than the original but they're so much longer I had to cram them in the housing to be able to mount the mirror on the car. Now the lever won't move to adjust the mirror at all. I asked but they don't have guidance on how to make it work. Has anyone else dealt with this and figured out how to make the mirror work? It doesn't seem to be an option to shorten the wires and I'm worried I'm going to break it and be out $250+ if I keep messing with it too much. Thanks
1985.5 Pininfarina Azzurra Spider
tbokhart
Your car is a: 1983 Pininfarina Spider

Re: 1985 side mirror

Post by tbokhart »

Hi,

I'm brand new to this site. I have a 1983 Pininfarina 2000 Spider which I purchased new. I had to buy a replacement driver side mirror recently from Ricambi and had the exact same experience. The mirror is pretty much useless. I'm tempted to take the mirror to a machine shop and see if the can shorten and recrimp the cabling. Will let you know when I get around to doing this.

I dont get it. Why cant Ricambi have the manufacturer build this correctly ... especially when they know it is too long? I will look continue to look for a used one that hopefully is an original.
jskinner96
Your car is a: 1985-5 Pininfarina Azzurra Spider

Post by jskinner96 »

Thanks for posting. I ended up taking the old mirror with cords out of the old one (just the housing was cracked and bad) and installed it into the new housing. It still seems like it doesn't fit in there quite right and the mirror adjustment is difficult but at least I have a mirror on there. If you figure out a good fix I'd love to hear it. This old mirror does have a very small chip on the bottom so it would be nice to put the new mirror back in. Thanks again and I hope you're enjoying your Fiat as much as I have mine. I've moved on to the interior restoration now and I have everything taken out of the entire interior. Coated everything with POR15 this weekend and almost ready for new carpet and seat vinyl! Take care, Jeremy
1985.5 Pininfarina Azzurra Spider
tima01864
Patron 2021
Patron 2021
Your car is a: 1983 FIAT Pininafarina Spider 2000

Post by tima01864 »

Mine broke in two at the weak point of the casting. I first tried epoxy, It worked for a while. I found a guy who welded the mirror back together. So far so good, They can be salvaged.