Paint Prep need some advice

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Re: Paint Prep need some advice

Post by SteinOnkel »

Got caught up in something else.

Here's a pop quiz question for you. How many horns should a Fiat 124 have? The answer is not 4. Previous owner man struck again, so I get to buy a new set. Luckily, they are not expensive.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

SteinOnkel wrote:How many horns should a Fiat 124 have? The answer is not 4. Previous owner man struck again, so I get to buy a new set.
True, but 4 could be very useful for "informing" MGs and Triumphs of your superiority on the road.

The horns on my two spiders are the air compressor type, with two trumpets. Sounds like a baby pig with its tail stuck in a barn door, they do. Kind of grows on you after a while.

-Bryan
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:
SteinOnkel wrote:How many horns should a Fiat 124 have? The answer is not 4. Previous owner man struck again, so I get to buy a new set.
True, but 4 could be very useful for "informing" MGs and Triumphs of your superiority on the road.

The horns on my two spiders are the air compressor type, with two trumpets. Sounds like a baby pig with its tail stuck in a barn door, they do. Kind of grows on you after a while.

-Bryan
Yeah, that's what someone added. Kinda cool, but now I'm curious what the stock dual horns sound like. And of course it was a complete joke of an install. Didn't bother to tape anything off when they last painted it, so they were partially white. Experts at work, I tell ya.

I opened up the old stock horns. Not surprised they don't work anymore. Looked straight from the titanic.
18Fiatsandcounting

You don't think the horns would clean up? There's not much to them, just a diaphragm and a "trumpet" like horn. To make them sound right, you have to adjust how far the inner tip of the horn is from the diaphragm. If not adjusted right, the horns just kinda fart in your general direction (a Monty Python reference of course).

If you're looking to get rid of the horns, let me know. Mine are painted a bright blue which clashes with my red car.

-Bryan
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:You don't think the horns would clean up? There's not much to them, just a diaphragm and a "trumpet" like horn. To make them sound right, you have to adjust how far the inner tip of the horn is from the diaphragm. If not adjusted right, the horns just kinda fart in your general direction (a Monty Python reference of course).

If you're looking to get rid of the horns, let me know. Mine are painted a bright blue which clashes with my red car.

-Bryan

At $28 for a new set, I just can't be bothered to clean and adjust these. As is they don't make a peep.

It sounds like you are asking me to fish them out of my recycling can?
18Fiatsandcounting

SteinOnkel wrote:At $28 for a new set, I just can't be bothered to clean and adjust these. As is they don't make a peep.

If they are the Fiamm air horns, sure, I'll buy them from you rather than see them go to the trash. If some aftermarket mumbo-jumbo, mehhh, not interested.

-Bryan
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:
SteinOnkel wrote:At $28 for a new set, I just can't be bothered to clean and adjust these. As is they don't make a peep.

If they are the Fiamm air horns, sure, I'll buy them from you rather than see them go to the trash. If some aftermarket mumbo-jumbo, mehhh, not interested.

-Bryan

My recycling can currently holds both. 2 that I suspect are OEM (they said Made in France on them, which accelerated their trip to the can) and then some mumbo jumbo crap.
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

Painting tomorrow! I am very excite!

P.S: Bryan your horns are on my work bench and would like to be picked up from school.
18Fiatsandcounting

I want to see your car when it's been repainted, so let me know when it's done. PM me your address, and I can take a drive up to the North Bay and see the car, pick up the horns, and any other fun stuff. Let me know if there is anything you need to complete your spider work, as I have a few odds and ends.

-Bryan
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

Bam. Primer went on today. We were going to do the topcoat as well, but one part on the driver's side fender had a funky reaction so we need to wait for full cure in order to sand that out.

Car looks fantastic overall. It's bizarre seeing it in one uniform color. And yes, the little Studebaker is next. While we have the garage in paint booth mode :) That one is getting a two-tone white and teal, so a bit more involved.

RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Post by RRoller123 »

Man what a lot of work! Well done.
'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle
18Fiatsandcounting

That's awesome Steiny, nice work. I love the Tyvek suits, and you should wear those when you go out shopping, just to see what kind of reaction you get. Can't be too careful with COVID...

Your method is exactly how I pictured painting my car in my garage, but my wife has put her foot down and said, "No, you're not paining a car in our garage." Sigh...

One question: Did you have any setup for airflow in an out of your "paint booth"? I always imagined I would use one big fan at one end of the area (with a filter), and one big fan at the other end for the exhaust. Just to prevent the mist from resettling on an already painted surface as you work your way around the car. I've also heard large puddles of water on the floor attract aerosol particles and reduce mist, and in fact, when I did my car repainting many years ago in a professional paint both, we hosed down the floor of the booth with water before beginning. Also keeps dust from being stirred up as you walk around.

-Bryan
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

Yes, we had the garage door open 20" propped up by three fans, foil in between them.

This was just the primer, for the topcoat we will be wetting the floors as well.

Oh, for sure, once we are done I am going shopping in this attire.
18Fiatsandcounting

Lots of bright but diffuse lights are also helpful, including lights that shine upward from the floor level. Painting a horizontal surface is pretty straightforward, but getting it right on the lower parts of doors and fenders is tricky. Lots of light helps.

Don't laugh about shopping in the Tyvek suit. For Halloween many years ago, I dressed up as a mad scientist in a similar outfit, and stopped by a store to buy beer on the way to a party. I'm kinda surprised they sold me the beer, but they did.

-Bryan
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

And done. Bought a brand new HTE paint gun for this - worth every penny. Take your quantity estimate and cut it in half. They are that good; it's unbelievable. I've got enough paint left over to spray another Spider. We did 3 (!) coats and there's still a full quart left over from the 2 quarts I bought.

I'd upload more pictures, but imgur is being a pita.