1978 spider interior and convertible replacement

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
tomiaccino
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 sport

1978 spider interior and convertible replacement

Post by tomiaccino »

finished updating to an electronic ignition, cleaned the gas tank and replaced all the lines, carburetor cleaned all fluids replaced finished the exterior cleaning and detailing...just about finished with the suspension uppers and lowers tie rods and shocks next thing to tackle is the interior.....I have found sites showing complete replacement of seat covers and thinking of replacing carpeting....the new seat covers are $399.00 sounds reasonable but I have a couple of questions are the 78's and 79's the same size seating?? or was there a change in sizing
NEED SOME HELP FROM THE FIAT GURU'S OUT THERE!
THANKS IN ADVANCE
also if you have a great place to recommend for purchase let me know
Tom
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Re: 1978 spider interior and convertible replacement

Post by SteinOnkel »

Nope, they are not the same. I bought some used '79 seat covers for my '78 and could only make them fit with lots of modification. The outcome is okay, not great. But I got the covers for like $80 so I'm not gonna bitch.

As for carpet kits, get the cheapest one you can find. None of them fit right anyway.
TheBender
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider

Post by TheBender »

There are a lot of quality places that offer seat covers and tops. I went with Autoberry.com and very happy with them. Quality product and good customer service.

For the carpets I went with the kit from AR. Like the other post says, they don’t quite fit exactly but turn out good. There’s some older posts of people cutting their own carpets.

With the seats and carpets out, think through anything else you might want to do while you have all of that out.

My seats and carpets after replacement. I also did a heat shield product, new center console, radio console, shift boot, shift knob, shift gasket and probably a few other things that had easy access.

18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Bender, that looks good and I really like the seats.

As for carpet sets? I've installed sets from both Midwest-Bayless and Vick Auto. The fit on each was reasonable, and I can't see any gaps or places where it bunches up. As for the material, I would give a slight edge to Vick. But, my suspicion is that the suppliers change over time, so what I experienced years ago may not still be the case today.

-Bryan