Rear speakers

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
cjgolf62
Your car is a: Fiat 124 1978

Rear speakers

Post by cjgolf62 »

Hello-
Im looking to add rear speakers to the back panels (roof storage pockets) with spacers if needed for depth. Also an amp in the trunk for power. Has anyone done this? suggestions? Which speakers work best etc.

Thanks

chris
SteveInOR
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Re: Rear speakers

Post by SteveInOR »

I recently put speakers on the rear panels. I was not going for particularly great quality sound but it turned out better than I expected. I used RetroPod 6.5-inch Surface Mount Speaker Modules and BOSS Audio Systems CH6520 6.5" speakers, both purchased from Amazon:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07QNRTC4B/ ... iFbF6PC3MQ
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000J1HDWI/ ... iFbS7TKNDM

I positioned the surface mounts in a spot where they seemed to fit best with the least amount of gaps on the curved surface. I drilled holes and used nuts and bolts so there would not be anything on the inside of the panel to snag on the convertible top. I used a Dremel rotary bit to cut holes in the mounts as they can be used both for 5.25" or 6.5" speakers. The mounts come with grilles and I used some cardboard pieces to align the speaker on the mount so the grille tabs would not be covered. Overall, I am really happy with the look and sound.

scrapironchef
Your car is a: 79 Spider

Post by scrapironchef »

Nice, clean install. I like the surface mount pods.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I agree, that looks nice. In my younger (stupider) days, I cut holes in the upright part of the rear seat and mounted a pair of sweet Jensen triaxial speakers in there, with a power amp in the trunk. While the cavity behind the rear seat cushion gave it an awesome bass response, I do regret this unfortunate incident. :roll:

Always reminded me of this song though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eJZo1Hs8yk

-Bryan
SteveInOR
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by SteveInOR »

Thanks. One thing to be aware of is the mounting depth of the speaker to be installed in the RetroPod. I think the maximum depth is 2.25”. The speakers I used indicated a depth of 2.13” which was one reason I chose them. Everything fit together very nicely.
looker44
Your car is a: 81 FI 2000

Post by looker44 »

Get speaker baffles, else 1/2 sound goes into window well
Lckitty
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider 2000

Post by Lckitty »

I just did the same with some cheap 5 1/4" marine speakers. The depth was 1 1/2" so went in perfectly without spacers and are nearly flush on the outside. I'd previously run rear wire when I had the console apart so hookup was easy. I put dynomat type foam/foil on the back of the panel to help a bit. Had to position low enough to be below the boot cover yet a few inches above the seat top.
Fun project and immense sound improvement!!!
Current Stable: Lotus Evora, Fiat 2000, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jaguar XF-R