rear sway bar (panhard rod)

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
dartme
Your car is a: 1970 fiat 124 spider 1979 2000 spider

rear sway bar (panhard rod)

Post by dartme »

hello, my panhard rod broke on my 70 spider i wanted to know if i can just weld it together? ( it's a clean break) or do i have to buy a new one? P.S. does anyone know where i can find a new one? would a 1979 work on my 1970? thanks
1970 124 sport spider
1979 2000 spider
pope

Re: rear sway bar (panhard rod)

Post by pope »

first of all, why would it break? Did you hit something? If it just broke on its own, then toss it, because it is structurally not sound and not worth the chance. That is a pretty vital part for safety and would get an other one anyways. Dont know what years are compatiable, not sure, but I would guess up to 1978, as 1979 is the year they changed the rear end. Someone else will have to chime in here.

It is not really a sway bar.
dartme

Post by dartme »

Yeah it is strange the way it broke.. I was driving I did not hit anything or hear anything the car just started to sway. It almost looks like it was cut,(it wasn't) A straight break (weird) thanks for your help. Anyone know where I can find a new one.
1970 124 sport spider
1979 2000 spider
pope

Post by pope »

Post it in the Wanted forum
Europa
Your car is a: 1983 Pininfarina Spidereuropa

Post by Europa »

Vick Autosports: $64.25 plus shipping (pre 1978)
http://www.vickauto.com/cgi-bin/store/63-7308.html

International Auto Parts: $64.25 plus shipping (this is probably for the Spider 2000)
http://www.international-auto.com/index ... sid=875167

There are additional vendors that carries the part.
1983 Spidereuropa
Verde Scuro
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

the only time I've seen them break is after the car was put on a flat bed for towing. The driver used the panhard to chain down the rear and kinked the bar
dartme

Post by dartme »

Thanks I knew you guys would come Thu. Mark its was not towed and no bends,It just snapped like a dried twig I didn't even see it at first.. Thanks again P.S. so do you guys think its a bad idea to weld it??
1970 124 sport spider
1979 2000 spider
pope

Post by pope »

Yes!!!!!! Very bad idea.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

I've only seen one welded; they slid a pipe inside the bar to strengthen it, then welded the seam. It sure was ugly and heavy but it seemed to work.
brad131a4

Post by brad131a4 »

I've welded mine and have had no problems with it at all. I did put another short piece pipe inside and drilled two holes on each side and welded those up to act as a anchoring spot to each piece of the panhard bar. A little grinding and some paint and good as new. If the seam is welded correctly it will be stronger than the original metal. If it breaks again then there is something else that is happening that is the problem. This is if you have a welding machine handy if not it would be cheaper to buy a new one.
pope

Post by pope »

Come on guys, there not that expensive and not worth welding. Especially since it just snapped meaning the the metal is stressed and brittle, or rusted and thin...maybe on the inside. Get a new one or a good used one.
dartme

Post by dartme »

yeah Mark i thought about doing that buy Pope is right its cheap to buy another one.. i bought one from Chris for $25
1970 124 sport spider
1979 2000 spider
brad131a4

Post by brad131a4 »

Pope if he had a welder handy it wouldn't be that bad. Mine was a need of getting the rear end to align correctly after I lowered the car.I'm working on getting an adjustable bar for this reason.