Ceramic Coating vs. Wax

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
Eastportspider
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider 2000

Ceramic Coating vs. Wax

Post by Eastportspider »

Cleaning and working on the finish of my '82 Spider 2000--all original paint--deep navy blue (449). Car has been clay barred and polished (medium and fine). The next step is either two stage deep wax or ceramic coating. The the original paint appears to be in good condition, so I feel its a good candidate for either treatment. I don't mind waxing my spider a couple of times a year--so I lean that way. I'm intrigued by the potential benefits with ceramic to diminishing water spotting, minor abrasions and "swirls", given the very dark finish.

Has anyone tried ceramic coatings on original Fiat paint? Welcome any reports and advice on which approach is best for the long term quality of the finish on my spider.

Thanks,
Steve
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Re: Ceramic Coating vs. Wax

Post by TX82FIAT »

Steve, I have used ceramic products on my other cars. However, I have rested using it on older cars. These ceramic products are supposed to bond to the paint. I've read you can use ceramic coating on auto plastics with no ill effect. These coats last for some time. Even the less expensive products wear well for a couple months before needing to be re-applied. My concern is that if it bonds to paint and wears off then it takes more paint with it because of a bonding process. Not a lot of paint and certainly not anything of any concern when you have a couple layers of modern clear coat. However, most of our cars have some combination of an acrylic lacquer/enamel. These ceramic products were not designed for this type of paint. Many classic car owners have done frame up restores with modern paint. The only folks that may hesitate are those with original paint. I'd put a a good wax on the car until we have more history of the ceramic coating on older paint types.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
Eastportspider
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider 2000

Post by Eastportspider »

TX82FIAT: I really appreciate your comments and details on ceramics. I decided to stay with wax, and I know the car will look great polished and with the two stage, PS21 wax treatment!
Thanks,
Steve
Lckitty
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider 2000

Post by Lckitty »

I've used both Mcguire's and Griot's sio2 sprays. Both worked shockingly well with no real effort. Do 2 coats. Simply amazing. My arms aren't rubber from wiping off wax. Works like a detail spray. A must try!!!
Current Stable: Lotus Evora, Fiat 2000, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jaguar XF-R
Nut124
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Post by Nut124 »

Ceramic car wax? Anyone have an link or example?
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Disclaimer: I have no experience with this product.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/ce ... gIFNfD_BwE

Silica (silicon dioxide) is quartz. Normally it doesn't repel water, but it can be treated to be water repellent, kind of the same technology as stuff like Rain-X for your windshield. Apparently ceramic car wax is a wax-based material that has water repellent (hydrophobic) silica nanoparticles dispersed throughout. Kind of a neat idea, actually, as it would both repel water (which can carry dirt) and also has a shiny appearance like glass or crystal.

Maybe I'll find some silica nanoparticles, mix in some Rain-X, and mix it all up with carnuba car wax, and give it a go! Home-brew science in action! :D

-Bryan
Nut124
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Post by Nut124 »

I'm going to call BS on ceramic polishes. SiO2 is nothing but sand. An abrasive. There is no such thing as liquid SiO2.

I think this is an old polymer vax combined with fine SiO2 abrasive. Do not rub too hard.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Nut124 wrote:There is no such thing as liquid SiO2.
Au contraire, mon Nut124. Google: "water glass" or "sodium silicate".

-Bryan
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

I get a bit concerned when I see Micro or Nano in a product description considering the plague that Micro-Fibers/Particles in our synthetic/plastic fabrics, etc have already brought upon us. Are these Nano Technology products just another clever way we've found to trigger an ELE (Extinction Level Event)?