Bay Area Get Together

Shows, meets, organized drives, club info
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Bay Area Get Together

Post by SteinOnkel »

Hey guys,

thought we might want a dedicated thread.

Well, that was a ton of fun yesterday! Next time I'll have to hit Bryan back for the beers :)

On my journey home I discovered that 5th only pops out on downslopes. On level ground or uphill you couldn't pull it out with both hands. On downgrades, the pressure of one finger is enough. So I am thinking some new mounts are in order. There are two engine mounts and one transmission mount, yes?

Cheers
Steiny

toyfiats
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider

Re: Bay Area Get Together

Post by toyfiats »

Wasn't there four of you yesterday? Where are the other two Spiders?
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

toyfiats wrote:Wasn't there four of you yesterday? Where are the other two Spiders?
Yes, there were 4 of us: Me, Steiny, Geospider, and Greenspider. Steiny and Geo brought their spiders, and Greenspider just had his car repainted and is putting it back together.

My excuse: Both my '69 and '71 are up on jack stands being worked on. I hope to get them back on the road soon.

-Bryan
18Fiatsandcounting

SteinOnkel wrote:On my journey home I discovered that 5th only pops out on downslopes. On level ground or uphill you couldn't pull it out with both hands. On downgrades, the pressure of one finger is enough. So I am thinking some new mounts are in order. There are two engine mounts and one transmission mount, yes?
Yes, two engine mounts up front, and one transmission mount at the rear of the transmission. Not too hard to replace, but let me know if you want advice. I just did these on my '71.

As for your 5th gear issue, it sounds to me like either one of two possibilities: Either the shifter linkages are worn and not pushing the 5th gear "sliding hub" fully onto the gear, or the gears or hubs are worn and you're slipping back out of 5th.

Check first to make sure your shift lever isn't being hindered by either the outer vinyl cover or the inner rubber seal, and pushing the lever back out of 5th gear.

-Bryan
geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Post by geospider »

Yes, it was a great time.
Maybe we can make some of these; "motor mount day" or "Valve adjust day" or "clean your grounds day" haha.
Or any other myriad of things.

And yes, lets get all cars out there. including yours Toyfiats.

BTW, just heard from the Sac group. The Murer house will be having the Italy on Wheels even on May 2 in Folsom.
went last year. was fun
I will also be posting in events for this specifically.

Geo
greenspider
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000 FI manual

Post by greenspider »

Great meeting you guys! Bryan, Thanks for lunch - hope the redline is a fair trade. Geo, We need to figure out who recovered the dash on Wheeler Dealer, otherwise find a local upholstery shop. Steiny, Saw two hot rod Gremlins, several Vegas (sorry, no Pacer) and an immaculate '60 Alfa Giulietta Sprint at AutoRama in Sac. Keep in touch about meets, shows, cars-n-coffee, etc.

Tony
18Fiatsandcounting

Hi Tony,
Good to have you join us, and thanks for the oil! Hope you get your green spider put back together, and let me know if you need any help. Oakland isn't too far for me.

Let's keep up the informal meetings of Bay Area Fiat Folks. (That would be BAFF, which is a lot better acronym than Bay Area Repair Folks...) Beer, coffee, whatever.

-Bryan
toyfiats
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider

Post by toyfiats »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:
Let's keep up the informal meetings of Bay Area Fiat Folks. (That would be BAFF, which is a lot better acronym than Bay Area Repair Folks...) Beer, coffee, whatever.

-Bryan
That reminded me that there used to a group called BARF - http://barf.mirafiori.com/. It was fun while it lasted, but times changed, one of the principles eventually moved out of the country, and others just moved on to other pursuits.
18Fiatsandcounting

ToyFiats, I did not know of BARF, but that's pretty funny! Still, they could have come up with a better acronym like, "Fiat Afficionados Bestowing Unqualified Love On Unreliable Spiders.... (FABULOUS).

-Bryan
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

I think a 50% vehicle turnout is pretty stellar, considering it was a Fiat meetup.

Badum-tss :mrgreen:
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

FYI me and some friends will be at cars & coffee on Treasure Island tomorrow.

Starts at 9AM. Won't be in the Fiat, look for a blue, early 80's VW "hmm what is that thing" with front euro plates.

Cheers
Steiny
18Fiatsandcounting

Thanks for the invitation! My wife has my day planned with things to do around the house, so I won't be able to join you.

-Bryan
scrapironchef
Your car is a: 79 Spider

Post by scrapironchef »

SteinOnkel wrote:I think a 50% vehicle turnout is pretty stellar, considering it was a Fiat meetup.

Badum-tss :mrgreen:
Extra points if they all start when it's time to go home.

I'd have been there but I had to rent out an apartment that afternoon, I look forward to the next one.

The BARF mailing list still exists over at Mirafiori, not very active but it's a good resource for putting together something like this.