Convertible top - low cost, no frills, DIY

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
stuartrubin
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124 Spider

Convertible top - low cost, no frills, DIY

Post by stuartrubin »

I finally got around to "winterizing" my Spider today. Maybe it was too cold, or maybe it was just its time, but when I put the top up, the plastic window tore from end to end, and I noticed another tear near the back bottom. So, now I have to think about replacing the top.

I see that there are some very low-cost options ($220 or so) on Amazon, eBay, etc. I was wondering if anyone had experiences with those budget models.

Here are some more thoughts:
My car has several aesthetic problems already, and I don't need "show quality."
I plan to re-sell the car and think the roof in not acceptable as-is.
I hardly ever drive in the rain. The top is there "just in case" and for when it's at the shop, etc.
I don't particularly care about matching the style perfectly to the model, year. I just has to look "right" to the lay person.
I would like to do the work myself, but have never done an install of the top.

I know that there are some other threads about this on the forum, but they are all pretty old. Anyone with fairly recent experience?

All thoughts and comments are welcome! Thanks!

Stuart
Stuart
1975 FIAT 124 Spider
Il Mostro di Frankenstein
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Re: Convertible top - low cost, no frills, DIY

Post by SteinOnkel »

I would definitely fix it if you plan to sell it. For me as a buyer the number 1 criteria for a convertible is that the top works flawlessly. It's the car's main feature.

As for the cheapo ones...my spider had a new top put on it a few months before I bought it. I suspect its one of the cheapo varieties, because it already has a tiny pinhole in it :(
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

My $0.02 worth, inflation-adjusted:

1. Replacing the top is something you can do yourself, perhaps a day of work, but there is almost always "something" that pops up to make life difficult. Rusted bolts, torn rubber trim, etc. I have done several tops in the past, and I invariably ran across that "something" that caused a lot of cursing. It always worked out though, and the top looked great.

2. I've always installed cloth tops. More expensive, but I like the look better. $400 to $600 for cloth, $200-$400 for vinyl.

3. I guess it all comes down to how much you plan to sell the car for? If $1000 or so, I wouldn't worry about the top, and besides, the new owner may want to put their own new top on it. If you want to get maximum value, then I agree with SteinOnkel above that replacing the top is a good idea. In other words, if the new owner just wants the car as is to drive around and enjoy, they likely will want a good top. If the buyer is looking at your car as the start of a full restoration, they may not care about the top.

-Bryan
stuartrubin
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by stuartrubin »

Thanks for the replies. There really was no way I was going to try to sell the car with a totally ripped top. If I myself were the buyer, the discount in price in my mind would be pretty high for the asking price.

I just wanted to get some confidence that I would not be throwing a few hundred bucks out the door for a failed installation, or a garbage top. It sounds like for my needs, whether I keep or sell the car, the cheap top with a DIY installation is right for me.

My garage is way to cold, so I'll wait for the Spring to do the job. When the time comes, I'll ping the group for specific advice.

Thanks again
Stuart
1975 FIAT 124 Spider
Il Mostro di Frankenstein
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

stuartrubin wrote:My garage is way to cold, so I'll wait for the Spring to do the job.
An excellent idea, as the tops are a LOT easier to install when it is warm and the vinyl (or cloth) is more pliable. When you get to the point of installing, try to do it in the sun as the material will be a lot easier to work with.

-Bryan
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

The Convertible Tops Guys sell a full kit and are pretty nice to deal with. The Haartz Pinpoint Vinyl kit in black or tan is currently $289.95 and includes the instructions, glue, cables and plastic pry bar that your going to need for the job and comes with a 5 year warranty.

https://www.convertibletopguys.com/conv ... ders-#boot
geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Post by geospider »

I used these guys; got the Robbins Vinyl. fit great, easy instructions

https://www.topsonline.com/department/C ... ories/Fiat
MattiR
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat Spider BS1 49498

Post by MattiR »

I am planning to install new vinyl top as well, thanks for hints. My Spider is a mixed bag of parts from different cars. How to identify if my top mechanism is pre-79 or past? Or does it matter?
Matti
Fiat 124 Sport Spider -11/71
MB 560SL- 87
DieselSpider

Post by DieselSpider »

MattiR wrote:I am planning to install new vinyl top as well, thanks for hints. My Spider is a mixed bag of parts from different cars. How to identify if my top mechanism is pre-79 or past? Or does it matter?
By whether the front bow has wings on it or not. Convertible Top Guys have that covered at this link:

https://www.convertibletopguys.com/conv ... info-link5

Here are the two diagrams they include with the verbiage:
MattiR

Post by MattiR »

DieselSpider wrote:
MattiR wrote:I am planning to install new vinyl top as well, thanks for hints. My Spider is a mixed bag of parts from different cars. How to identify if my top mechanism is pre-79 or past? Or does it matter?
By whether the front bow has wings on it or not. Convertible Top Guys have that covered at this link:

https://www.convertibletopguys.com/conv ... info-link5

Here are the two diagrams they include with the verbiage:
Thanks Dieselspider,

It seems that in my Spider the top vinyl is pre-79 with wings but the front bow is past-79! I can feel the metal bow inside the top vinyl and there are no wings.
Matti
MB 560SL- 87
DieselSpider

Post by DieselSpider »

Watch out as sometimes the wings may be rotted off on the CS1 bow. What are the tension cables that run along both sides of the top connected too?

When you look up from underneath the window flap at the front corner of the bow you should be able to see the cables looped end and the pin that its hooked over on the underside of the front bow.
MattiR

Post by MattiR »

DieselSpider wrote:Watch out as sometimes the wings may be rotted off on the CS1 bow. What are the tension cables that run along both sides of the top connected too?

When you look up from underneath the window flap at the front corner of the bow you should be able to see the cables looped end and the pin that its hooked over on the underside of the front bow.
There are no cables left, but there are round tabs where cable loop probably could be hooked.
Matti
MB 560SL- 87