Shifter rattle (I know, it's been covered)

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
burlyb
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider 124 2000 FI

Shifter rattle (I know, it's been covered)

Post by burlyb »

'82. Finally tiring of the high rpm (3500+) shifter rattle/buzz. I have a short shifter (the billet one with the two set screws) that is a solid fit to the original shift lever. A few years ago I rebuilt the shifter assembly with new bushings etc, but re-used the original anti-rattle spring. Does a new spring really make a difference to reduce vibration. The shifter lever really rattles around in the lever cup and the spring really appears to make no difference. Does everyones shifter do this or is it possible to tame this thing a bit?

Thanks.

Bryan
TFichter
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat 2000 spider

Re: Shifter rattle (I know, it's been covered)

Post by TFichter »

I have exactly the same problem with an ‘82 spider. I’ve even replaced the spring clip on the lower shift lever with a new clip. I still have the rattle but it’s most prominent in the 3rd and 5th gears. I understand that the original upper arm shift lever also dampens rattles but I really prefer the shorter billet lever. I wondered if I should try replacing the lower shift lever because the integrated ‘balls” are worn? Can it be replaced easily from inside the car? What is the procedure? Also, a new shift lever spring kit has been installed like ‘burlyb”. Can someone assist both of us? Thanks!
1982 Fiat 2000 Spider (2013- ?)
1973 BMW 3.0CS (owned 1991-2013)
1980 MGB (owned 1984-1991)
1973 BMW 2002 (owned 1987-1991)
1972 Fiat 124 Spider (owned 1974-1978)
maxm50
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider

Post by maxm50 »

Bringing up an old thread, hopefully someone has input here.
I also have shifter rattle above 4000ish RPM in any gear. Luckily this 2L engine is so torquey down low, I rarely run it past 4500 rpm anyway :)

Here's what I've done:
- new shifter cup/bushing kit
- new anti-rattle spring clip
- new short shifter from Alison's Auto (one piece stainless steel, includes stainless steel lower ball)

None of this made the rattle any less vs. the old stock shifter. FWIW my stock shifter had a cracked plastic ball. There just seems to be a lot of play between the ball and socket, and that tiny little anti-rattle spring would never be strong enough to keep the assembly from rattling due to engine vibration. Next on my list is replacing the motor mounts and transmission mount, hopefully to just reduce vibrations overall. 40 year old rubber mounts are never going to be in good shape, especially judging by how much everything else that's rubber under the hood degrades.

My transmission seems to be in good shape - it shifts really smoothly. The rattle is definitely linked to engine RPM, not driveline rotation speed, so my guess is it's just too much engine vibration for this poor loosely toleranced shifter linkage.
1981 Fiat Spider 2000
2011 BMW 335i M-Sport
1971 Honda CB450 Twin
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I'd definitely change the engine and transmission mounts at this point, as they could be rock hard and the source of the problem. Also check that the downpipe and exhaust plumbing isn't touching the underside of the body or anything on the transmission. That can also be a source of rattles.

-Bryan