Lowering Springs, Dog Tracking, Adjustable Panhard

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
ward00
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1975 Spider

Lowering Springs, Dog Tracking, Adjustable Panhard

Post by ward00 »

How have any of you dealt with dog tracking (back of the car gets shifted relative to the rear of the car) that occurs when installing lowering springs?

I only learned about it because friend who was driving behind told me he saw my spider driving slightly sideways after I installed the lowering springs.

Lowering springs change the suspension geometry, which cause the panhard rod to push the rear of the car out relative to the front, which in my case was about a 1/2 inch.

I'm surprised that this negative side effect of lowering springs has not been discussed more (if at all) on this forum or that any of the vendors do not sell a solution in the form of an adjustable panhard.
75 Spider
75 Sport Coupe restoration
ward00
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1975 Spider

Re: Lowering Springs, Dog Tracking, Adjustable Panhard

Post by ward00 »

Crickets on what I thought would bring spirited discussion like it did on https://www.mirafiori.com/forum/viewtop ... 15&t=98735. Posting the link to document the issue for posterity.
75 Spider
75 Sport Coupe restoration
aj81spider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by aj81spider »

I read the Mirafiori thread, which was interesting. I also did the math and got the same answer mentioned in the thread (7 MM horizontal displacement) assuming a 2 inch drop (and making some other assumptions, like a 100 cm panhard and a 15 cm (about 6 inch) drop from the panhard mount to the axle).

7 MM is about 1/3 of an inch. If someone driving behind you can see the displacement I suspect that it's more than 1/3 of an inch. If you have old or soft bushings the 1/3 of an inch might even get largely absorbed by them.

While an adjustable rod would let you take out the 1/3 of an inch - it's not much of an adjustment for the investment. I agree with the Mirafiori commenters that you should look for something else going on.
A.J.

1974 Fiat 124 Spider
2006 Corvette
1981 Spider 2000 (sold 2013 - never should have sold that car)
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Thank you for posting the link for posterity. I too followed the discussion on Mirafiori, but since I've never done anything but stock in terms of suspension work, there wasn't much I could offer.

-Bryan
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

Yes in theory this does happen however it also works the same when you load the trunk to its max capacity of 140 lbs and when you put a passenger in too.

The front suspension also goes between radically toed out to insanely toed in when you go over humps and dips in the road which can cause the tires to chirp very loudly.

These are the major reasons why the cars are supposed to be aligned when laden.