Ball joints, Steering idler?????

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
JayBird
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Spider 2000

Ball joints, Steering idler?????

Post by JayBird »

I'm moving forward with my suspension and steering rebuild starting tomorrow. I cant find information in regards to the steering idler oil type and the quantity required to refill the idler. I would also like to know the recommended torque for the three replacement ball joint mounting bolts

Thanks Jay
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Ball joints, Steering idler?????

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

For the oil for the idler box (and the steering box), Fiat specifies 90 weight EP gear oil. "EP" is extreme pressure, and I usually just refill with 85-90w EP or 80-90w EP gear oil, whatever I have available. GL-5 is fine.

As for how much to refill, opinions differ, but I fill the idler box pretty much all the way to the bottom of the fill plug. The steering gear box is filled only to a level about 1 inch below the fill plug.

As for the 3 bolts/nuts that hold the ball joints to the upper and lower A-arms, the spec is 15 ft lbs, but I usually tighten them to 20 or so. The tightening torque isn't critical on these (within limits of course).

-Bryan
Jon124
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by Jon124 »

If you don’t fill the steering gearbox all the way how does the top bearing get lubricated? The service manual states “top up through fill plug”. I think this means to fill all the way.
1974 Honda CB350F
1981 Fiat Spider 2000
18Fiatsandcounting

Good question, and I wondered about that myself. In the owners manual (or service manual), there is a spec for the quantity of oil to use in the steering box, so you could measure that out accurately and you'd probably be good.

I suppose some oil could wick up the shaft to that bearing you're talking about, but I wouldn't count on it.

-Bryan
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

Jon124 wrote:If you don’t fill the steering gearbox all the way how does the top bearing get lubricated? The service manual states “top up through fill plug”. I think this means to fill all the way.
On the idler you unbolt the top and remove the plate to fill the bottom completely and then after you replace the top you finish filling it through the fill plug to top it off. If the fluid level has dropped below the top plate and you only add fluid via the Top Up Plug you will get the false impression that it is completely full when the bottom section may actually be completely empty.

Steering box is at an angle with the fill plug higher up than the bearing so about 1/2 to 1 inch below would be about right. You do not want it so full so that carriage movement inside will pressurize the housing and force the fluid out.
18Fiatsandcounting

Diesel, thanks, and that sounds right. On the idler box, I do know that if you don't add enough oil, there will be a "soft" spot in the middle of the rotation range. When properly filled, the resistance to move the arm should be constant throughout its rotational range. Keeps the vibration and "jitter" in the steering wheel minimized no matter where the steering wheel is pointed.

And, good point about the fill plug for the steering box. When mounted in the car, the top cover (and fill plug) is at an angle, so filling the steering box to 1/2 to 1" below the fill plug lip would immerse in oil the lower side of the top roller bearings in the cover plate. If you fill the steering box while outside of the car, it's best to fill it to this level with the steering box tilted as it would be in the car.

My assumption was similar to yours in that you don't want to totally fill the steering box as it could pressurize inside under certain conditions and force oil out.

-Bryan
JayBird
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Spider 2000

Post by JayBird »

Thanks for the information.
I have a good used steering box that I have yet to install. I put a few ounces of oil in the box and took it threw its full range of motion several times. Drain and repeat several times until the oil looked clean, then added 71/4 ounces of oil as per the manual, done. Today I removed the Idler, dissembled and cleaned it making sure that the tiny vent ports were open and the ball checks between the upper and lower chambers were free. I basically filled and drained it several times just as I did with the steering box and then filled the lower then the upper chambers completely.
Again thank you for the information, I feel that the idler and steering box are now in good shape.
I found problem with my frame where the cross member bolts up. Time for another post.

Jay