Front suspension install help

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
Rotoariesarecool
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat 124 Spider

Front suspension install help

Post by Rotoariesarecool »

So I am installing new arms and springs and the left side went smoothly but as I was tightening the upper pivot bolt on the right side I noticed that the bushing was moving inwards and getting pressed in more than it should, how bad is this?
picture of right side you can see the silver poking through
picture of left side correctly installed

Also I'm having some trouble with shock installation. Im installing vick hyrdasports and the rubber mount is thicker than the old one and as a result I cant get the top bolt on I tried jacking it up by the suspension but I dont have the engine in the car right now so it doesnt compress enough to get the bolt on, any ideas?
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Re: Front suspension install help

Post by DieselSpider »

Not sure about the bushings however there were reports of some being undersized.

With the engine out you will not be able to tighten the bushings since they need to have the full weight of the car on them to tighten them properly otherwise they will likely fail early. The bushings need to be tightened with the car laden on its wheels.
Rotoariesarecool
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by Rotoariesarecool »

I'm aware i need to torque them once laden but this happened very early on when i was just snugging them up. Do you think I can leave it like this or will it not work?
dinghyguy
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1981 spider

Post by dinghyguy »

I recentky had a set of uppers that were actually loose in the a arms. The vendor replaced asap no charge. If the bushing ribs are not pushing through the a arms i suspect you will be ok as long as they are tight.
Dinghyguy
1981 Red Spider "Redbob"
1972 blue Volvo 1800ES "Bob"
1998 Red Ford Ranger
DieselSpider

Post by DieselSpider »

Rotoariesarecool wrote:I'm aware i need to torque them once laden but this happened very early on when i was just snugging them up. Do you think I can leave it like this or will it not work?
You really should not even snug them but just loose fit them so they will spin freely and evenly on both sides when you laden them for torquing. If they are pushing through when loose fit check with your vendor before proceeding.
architect
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat Spider

Post by architect »

I just recently replaced my (entire) suspension...
So feel free to ask any questions.

My upper arms were from Midwest / Lowers from AR.

They should slide in smoothly. One side was slightly snugger then the other, but went in with a breeze!

As a fair warning to everyone.. be very careful taking the ball joints out. I used a fork with compression bolt tool from amazon. First ball joint I took off without the nut. It shot off like a bullet into my wood fence. Very freaky, lots of stored energy. The remaining came off with the nut loosened.
78 Fiat 124
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Post by SteinOnkel »

Here's how I seperate Balljoints, Tierods etc and never had any problems:

Take two hammers and smack the upper "cup" part of the tie rod, balljoint whatever. Within 5 or 6 smart whacks it'll go pop and come out of its socket. Leave the nut on but loose and it won't go shooting.

Question for you fine gents:

What is the torque spec for the upper control arm bolt? The big honkin' one that goes all the way through?

The lower control arm nuts are 72ftlb each, yes?
DieselSpider

Post by DieselSpider »

SteinOnkel wrote:Here's how I seperate Balljoints, Tierods etc and never had any problems:

Take two hammers and smack the upper "cup" part of the tie rod, balljoint whatever. Within 5 or 6 smart whacks it'll go pop and come out of its socket. Leave the nut on but loose and it won't go shooting.

Question for you fine gents:

What is the torque spec for the upper control arm bolt? The big honkin' one that goes all the way through?

The lower control arm nuts are 72ftlb each, yes?
Open and then save or print out: http://www.mirafiori.com/124susp/

I bring a copy with me every time I get a front end alignment and give it to the tech before he begins the work on my free lifetime alignment.

The quick answer is 88 N-m, 65 FT/LB, 9 Kgm however the complete answer is in that document known as:
Eli's Quick & Dirty 124 Suspension Primer

Alternate Title:
Understand your 124's Front end, and avoid being Killed, Maimed, or Suffering unneccesary Damage to your steed.

This should be considered required reading for everyone who owns or works on the front suspension of a vintage 124 Spider.
Homegrown
Your car is a: 1971 Fiat Spider 1600

Post by Homegrown »

Regarding the bushings, there was a batch that were too small. The vendor is aware and will replace at no charge. Took me months trying to figure it out at home with my HF 20t unit and then arguments with the shop before I called the vendor.

If the bushings were not in the arm properly, you will likely get control arm noise when installed.