76 CS1 - Is the rear axle alignment adjustable?

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
moses

76 CS1 - Is the rear axle alignment adjustable?

Post by moses »

My 76 CS1 has a slightly noticeable "crabbing" - what seems to me like a rear-axle misalignment. When shifting (especially under heavier acceleration), I can feel the rear end pulling to the right.

The suspension is currently being restored, so it may work itself out once I replace all the obvious problem items (ball joints and tie rods). But when it comes time to have an alignment done, am I able to adjust the rear axle alignment (or rear toe alignment) if that's what's out of spec?

I do know for a fact the car was never in any accidents, other than a cart smacking the hood, so the frame isn't damaged as far as I know.
moses

Re: 76 CS1 - Is the rear axle alignment adjustable?

Post by moses »

http://www.fiatspider.com/f15/viewtopic ... 14&t=34134

Related, probably the cause. Replacement on the way.
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

No its not really adjustable however a damaged panhard bar or one with severely worn bushings can cause the car to crabwalk.

Some have modified the panhard bar to make it adjustable but there are usually other dynamics at play if the car crabwalks with the correct panhard bar with new bushings installed in it.

Pay close attention to the ends of the front cross member since it can shift the front suspension to either side if the welds break where its folded into three layers between the frame rails.
Last edited by DieselSpider on Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djape1977
Your car is a: 1970 fiat 124bc

Post by djape1977 »

feeling you describe is caused by something being loose in the rear suspension. most likely lower trailing arms bushings. get under the rear with a crow bar and check all bushings

rear suspension is not adjustable from factory, but you can make it adjustable by adding adjustable panhard and/or trailing arms. they're available as aftermarket option