Favorite Coolant?

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
sc81fiat
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat 124

Favorite Coolant?

Post by sc81fiat »

Curious what Brand everyone is is using and why? (I've gathered Ethylene Glycol/ HOAT/ Phosphate Free/ Aluminum Safe/ Green.... but what brands does that leave?) Just rebuild cooling system and want to make sure I fill with the right stuff!

Thanks!
Rambo

Re: Favorite Coolant?

Post by Rambo »

I use regular green Prestone antifreeze mixed 50/50 with water.
kilrwail
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider

Post by kilrwail »

Best to use distilled water, to avoid minerals (eg. calcium) and chemicals.

1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider - original owner
1977 Porsche 911S - track car
2022 Ram 4 x 4 - hauler
PCA National Instructor and Motorsport Safety Foundation Level 2 Instructor
sc81fiat

Post by sc81fiat »

Having trouble finding the Green Prestone around here.... has anyone used the "yellow" extended life pre-mixed or the Zerex G-05?
sc81fiat

Post by sc81fiat »

Going with the Zerex Original Green Ethylene Glycol .... fingers crossed...
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

sc81fiat wrote:Having trouble finding the Green Prestone around here.... has anyone used the "yellow" extended life pre-mixed or the Zerex G-05?
Its a yellow bottle, i meant green color antifreeze.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000GKTYN ... +pre+mixed
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

ford makes a yellow "gold"antifreeze
it is best for all systems
but its pricey
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

So far I have found Engine Ice the best coolant for any system. When I put it in my Aprilia its superior heat transfer ability became very apparent as the cooling fan runs for much shorter periods of time and the temperature gauge is more steady since switching to it despite our roadway temperatures being well over 100 degrees much of the year. Non toxic too which is another plus. You still have to flush and refill every one or two years and they recommend distilled water mixed with white vinegar to clean your cooling system followed by a final flush with distilled water before refilling.
Turbofiat124
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000 turbo

Post by Turbofiat124 »

I've heard to never use the orange antifreeze used in GM vehicles because it corrosive to aluminum.
sc81fiat

Post by sc81fiat »

Thanks for the information! On a side note: Has anyone used silicone tape (plumbers tape) around the threads when installing the temperature sensor into the union? Saw someone do it and figured it wouldn't hurt?
klweimer
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by klweimer »

Teflon plumbers tape would probably work just fine. I always worry the lubricity of the teflon might make it too easy to over torque the fitting into a cast part with thinner walls and crack something. My favorite to auto applications like that is Permatex #2 non-hardening sealant. Totally old school, but that's what I used on the threaded fittings on my motor.
Kirk
SP3
Your car is a: 1966 Ducati 250 Monza

Post by SP3 »

Turbofiat124 wrote:I've heard to never use the orange antifreeze used in GM vehicles because it corrosive to aluminum.
it's not a simple 'GM' or 'aluminum' problem. VW (and all their sundry corporate siblings) also use(d) OAT anti-freeze. And, like nearly every other engine made in the last two or three decades, they (GM and VW/Porsche/Audi/etc.) have aluminum blocks and/or heads and/or water pump housings and radiator cores. Used in engines it was designed for, it's fine. Cars not meant to use it - stay away and just use plain old ethylene glycol and water mix. The pre-mixed is a ripoff. Costs more for no good reason unless you're just that lazy.
dom

Post by dom »

I read somewhere that the red stuff used for aluminum heads or blocks or rads is not approved for use in copper radiators. The OE rad for a 72 spider is copper. Originally I put in the red because the head is aluminum but I decided to switch to green.
Turbofiat124
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000 turbo

Post by Turbofiat124 »

SP3 wrote:
Turbofiat124 wrote:I've heard to never use the orange antifreeze used in GM vehicles because it corrosive to aluminum.
it's not a simple 'GM' or 'aluminum' problem. VW (and all their sundry corporate siblings) also use(d) OAT anti-freeze. And, like nearly every other engine made in the last two or three decades, they (GM and VW/Porsche/Audi/etc.) have aluminum blocks and/or heads and/or water pump housings and radiator cores. Used in engines it was designed for, it's fine. Cars not meant to use it - stay away and just use plain old ethylene glycol and water mix. The pre-mixed is a ripoff. Costs more for no good reason unless you're just that lazy.
That was what a guy I work with said. That the orange stuff used by GM is bad on aluminum. Because he has had issues with it. On the other hand he has owned allot of front wheel drive GM vehicles that use that V6 engine (e.g. Pontiac grand Prix, Chevrolet Lumina) which are prone to intake manifold gasket leaks and other issues. So it may just be a design flaw with the engine itself.

My 98 Chevy Van has the orange coolant in it and 141,000 miles so far so good. But it uses the old small block 350 engine that's been around for ages.
Topless
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat 124 Spider 2000

Post by Topless »

What about SuperTech? It's "the good ole green stuff," is labeled as safe for any aluminum engine, is found everywhere and is cheap.