Rebuilding Dash

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
davery
Your car is a: 1985 Spider

Rebuilding Dash

Post by davery »

I am thinking of rebuilding my dash this winter. I have an inoperable heater blower and have to remove the upper and lower center console and it has got me thinking. I really don't like the way the 83-85 upper center console juts forward and is so angular. I also do not like OEM heater controls, as the operation defies logic and seems to work poorly. I was thinking of adding a hot rod in dash AC/heater/defrost system just to (mostly)get rid of the OEM heater controls. although factory AC would be a big plus in Florida during the summer. Has anyone done this? I know if I do this I am giving up the "fresh air" option. If I choose to keep the OEM system, has anyone ever fit other heater controls to the OEM system?

I'm looking at replacing the upper center console with a custom fiberglass unit that I design and make. I have never worked with fiberglass before, so it will be a learning experience. The other option would be to adapt another center dash/radio bezel to this situation. I would like to move the fuel, temp and oil gauges to the upper center console, and replace my digital clock with a rotary clock. Does anyone know if the existing cables are long enough to move? I would also like to replace the OEM power window switches.

If I can replace the OEM heater controls, I would like to build a custom lower center console. My ultimate would be to use the E-Stopp brake and remove the hand brake lever entirely. Again, it may be easier to adapt another rather the build from scratch/

A big concern I have is having a hodge podge of controls, as the custom climate controls seem to be limited. Although one company does make an adapter to use OEM climate controls. This means, in theory, I might be able to use climate controls, window switches, etc from a single donor dash while still using the Fiat OEM speedo, tach, fuel, oil and temp gauges.

Thoughts?
Don Avery
Dayton, OH/Sarasota,FL
1985 Pininfarina
2011 Eos
2012 Mercedes E550 Cabriolet
Ptoneill
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider 2000

Re: Rebuilding Dash

Post by Ptoneill »

I thought long and hard about putting in a "Vintage Air" system. With the vintage air system there are numerous aftermarket controls, including the touchscreen Infinitybox system I am using. I am using the OEM heater system, no air, but I am using the push pull controls from a 64 Dodge Dart on my 79 124.

I have the e stopp, it is really cool but it is long, if you have 5 speed you will have to figure out if it will fit under the center hump. I got rid of my automatic shifter by using a paddle shift system, the e-stop took almost all of the room, I have numerous pictures on photobucket and I will send you the dimensions if you need them.

Looking forward to your work on the dash/console.

Stay Safe,

Pat
79spider
HAVE FUN!! It's a FIAT!!
ptoneill@msn.com
http://s1121.photobucket.com/albums/l504/ptoneill/
davery

Post by davery »

Ptoneill wrote:I thought long and hard about putting in a "Vintage Air" system. With the vintage air system there are numerous aftermarket controls, including the touchscreen Infinitybox system I am using. I am using the OEM heater system, no air, but I am using the push pull controls from a 64 Dodge Dart on my 79 124.

I have the e stopp, it is really cool but it is long, if you have 5 speed you will have to figure out if it will fit under the center hump. I got rid of my automatic shifter by using a paddle shift system, the e-stop took almost all of the room, I have numerous pictures on photobucket and I will send you the dimensions if you need them.

Looking forward to your work on the dash/console.

Thanks for the pics. For some reason I thought the E-Stopp unit could be mounted under the car. Yes, I see that could be an issue trying to find space inside the cockpit. I have read your updates in the Infinitybox system, which sounds really cool - but beyond my knowledge base. What will be controlled by this system? Where are you locating you climate controls?
Don Avery
Dayton, OH/Sarasota,FL
1985 Pininfarina
2011 Eos
Ptoneill

Post by Ptoneill »

You can mount the e-stopp under the car, a lot of hot rodders mount it to a frame rail. It is easier to mount if you keep it in-line with the brake cable, you can search on the web to find alternate mounting, some brake shops will custom make cables. You may want to look at mounting it in the opposite direction from mine with the actuator towards the back and cable forward, then mount a pulley so the pull cable can be routed over it, thru the original brake hole to the emergency cable.

As for controls I am going to mount the push pull heater controls somewhere in the center console...have not settled on a design yet. The rest of the electronics except for the signals and radio will be consoled thru a 7 inch Amazon Fire flat screen they the Infinitybox Intouch system.

Use your imagination, at least that's what I call the voices in my head!!

I hope you try the aftermarket heating and air systems, I know they have mock ups that you can buy or rent to test the fit
Stay Safe,

Pat
79spider
HAVE FUN!! It's a FIAT!!
ptoneill@msn.com
davery

Post by davery »

Ptoneill wrote:You can mount the e-stopp under the car, a lot of hot rodders mount it to a frame rail. It is easier to mount if you keep it in-line with the brake cable, you can search on the web to find alternate mounting, some brake shops will custom make cables. You may want to look at mounting it in the opposite direction from mine with the actuator towards the back and cable forward, then mount a pulley so the pull cable can be routed over it, thru the original brake hole to the emergency cable.

As for controls I am going to mount the push pull heater controls somewhere in the center console...have not settled on a design yet. The rest of the electronics except for the signals and radio will be consoled thru a 7 inch Amazon Fire flat screen they the Infinitybox Intouch system.

Use your imagination, at least that's what I call the voices in my head!!

I hope you try the aftermarket heating and air systems, I know they have mock ups that you can buy or rent to test the fit
Can't you have the Infinitybox control the climate control?
Don Avery
Dayton, OH/Sarasota,FL
1985 Pininfarina
2011 Eos
Ptoneill

Post by Ptoneill »

Only If you use the infinity box intouch module AND the Vintage Air system.
Stay Safe,

Pat
79spider
HAVE FUN!! It's a FIAT!!
ptoneill@msn.com
davery

Post by davery »

Ptoneill wrote:Only If you use the infinity box intouch module AND the Vintage Air system.

So, could the Infinitybox control any electric climate control? I looked a round on their website, are there any pics of the app or interface?
Don Avery
Dayton, OH/Sarasota,FL
1985 Pininfarina
2011 Eos
Ptoneill

Post by Ptoneill »

I believe it is only the one specific unit that it controls. The best way to get the info on the intouch module is to look under the "buy"tab, at the bottom of the description you will see a black cell phone shape, hit it and it will open a functional display screen that is similar to what your access device will display. You can also download the instructions on any of the modules from the blog or information tab.

The intouch module is not a stand alone device it must be used in conjunction with either the 2 or 3 cell system.

For my car I am using the 3 cell with the InMotion and intouch module.
Stay Safe,

Pat
79spider
HAVE FUN!! It's a FIAT!!
ptoneill@msn.com
davery

Post by davery »

Ptoneill wrote:I believe it is only the one specific unit that it controls. The best way to get the info on the intouch module is to look under the "buy"tab, at the bottom of the description you will see a black cell phone shape, hit it and it will open a functional display screen that is similar to what your access device will display. You can also download the instructions on any of the modules from the blog or information tab.

The intouch module is not a stand alone device it must be used in conjunction with either the 2 or 3 cell system.

For my car I am using the 3 cell with the InMotion and intouch module.
The Vintage Air Gen IV evaporator is way too big for the spider. I just emailed the people at Infinitybox to see if it may be set up to control other electric climate controls. They seem to be the only game in town as far as a computerized wiring harness. Too bad, it seems to be really interesting.
Don Avery
Dayton, OH/Sarasota,FL
1985 Pininfarina
2011 Eos