Moved tubular bumpers closer to car

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
rjkoop
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider

Moved tubular bumpers closer to car

Post by rjkoop »

I really liked how the tubular bumpers look when moved closer on other Spiders. So I went ahead and did it. It was easy to do. If you like the look I encourage you to do it. Much cheaper than getting the chrome replacements. :D

Front before

Front after

Back before

Back after

Drilled holes from underneath on the wider tube (the one closer to the car body). No oil came out until I pushed the bumpers in. One of the rears was stubborn so I had to remove the rear bumper (4 bolts on back side of bumper) and then I was able to sledge it in.

Some other shots...

Last edited by rjkoop on Sat May 12, 2018 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoFlaFiat

Re: Moved tubular bumpers closer to car

Post by SoFlaFiat »

Nice job Richard, Looks much better!!
ignore any and all future comments about negating the usefulness of the bumpers!! They are useless from the get go!!
Well done!
rjkoop

Post by rjkoop »

SoFlaFiat wrote:Nice job Richard, Looks much better!!
ignore any and all future comments about negating the usefulness of the bumpers!! They are useless from the get go!!
Well done!
Yep. I think they are rated for only < 5 mph accident anyways. Which I guess means someone bumping it when parking. And to be honest, this car is only stored in my garage or driven around or to work. So no parallel parking situations. Pretty much accepted that if I actually get in a serious accident with this car I'll be looking for another Fiat Spider anyways!
80spiddy
Your car is a: 1980 spider 2000

Post by 80spiddy »

I was just measuring this yesterday to see how far in they could go. I have my bumpers off right now and want to make this change before they go back on. Nice job.
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

You want the extra crumple area for you and your passenger not to protect the car. Those extra inches may not seem like much however they could make a big difference in survivability with lessor injuries.

Some also beef up the seat mounts too much so that instead of buckling and bending like they should to absorb some of the energy in a crash they stay rigid and telegraph it all to the seat and its occupant.

Yes the OEM bumpers are to protect the car in a parking lot sub 5 mph fender bender however above that its the people that its supposed to give up the ghost to protect.
RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Post by RRoller123 »

Agreed. Although it certainly looks better, this is one modification I will never do. But to each his or her own!
'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle
rjkoop

Post by rjkoop »

It was a tough call. On one hand I want to keep it original and as safe as possible. But I always found when I showed off my car I was always saying '... but I'm not too big on those bumpers'. And I didn't want to spend the $1000 on new chrome ones.

That being said I have made so many other safety improvements from when I got the car (new suspension, steering, brake lines, etc...) that maybe it balances out? :?
DieselSpider

Post by DieselSpider »

Yes its a tough call as Mr Artsy Fartsy on the left shoulder says do it while Mr Don't Run with the Scissors on the right says play it safe.

People tell me its not safe to commute to work with the Spider but then again it is safer than on the motorbike (my other daily ride) even if the Spider had no bumpers and the fenders were removed too.

I think however its a study in contrasts when folks put in racing seats, race harnesses and roll bars for safety and then totally remove the bumpers.
Redline
Your car is a: formerly a 1971 Fiat 124 BC Coupe

Post by Redline »

DieselSpider wrote:I think however its a study in contrasts when folks put in racing seats, race harnesses and roll bars for safety and then totally remove the bumpers.
I think one can make a pretty convincing argument that the 5 mph bumpers would contribute vanishingly little to crash energy dissipation.
http://www.124bc.com
La Dolce Vita: Joy and frustration at the speed of smoke
SoFlaFiat

Post by SoFlaFiat »

Yesterday, on the way to work, I counted the number of vehicles with bumpers less than 12" above the street.
There was one, a 1998 Civic bagger with a front plate that said "TooLowBeotch"

I'm pretty sure that my spare tire mounted high in the trunk ( boot to you Andy) will do more to dissipate energy if I get rear ended than any bumpers would.

I knew this topic would be fun! Thanks Richard!
Redline
Your car is a: formerly a 1971 Fiat 124 BC Coupe

Post by Redline »

Even in the case of perfectly aligned bumpers, the oil-filled dampers in the tube bumpers are going to be effectively rigid in a high speed impact and just send the crash energy straight to the chassis.
http://www.124bc.com
La Dolce Vita: Joy and frustration at the speed of smoke
rjkoop

Post by rjkoop »

SoFlaFiat wrote:Yesterday, on the way to work, I counted the number of vehicles with bumpers less than 12" above the street.
There was one, a 1998 Civic bagger with a front plate that said "TooLowBeotch"

I'm pretty sure that my spare tire mounted high in the trunk ( boot to you Andy) will do more to dissipate energy if I get rear ended than any bumpers would.

I knew this topic would be fun! Thanks Richard!
These forums are good because we just have a healthy respectful discussion of the pros and cons. That's good for others considering this change. And I think to maximize safety I should have built a bracket to raise the bumpers 12" to deal with all the SUV and trucks out there. :shock:

No regrets on this change for me. And more importantly when I head out to the garage and walk by my car I smile when I see the look of the tucked in bumpers. :D
spiderdan
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1968 124 Sport Spider

Post by spiderdan »

rjkoop wrote:when I head out to the garage and walk by my car I smile when I see the look of the tucked in bumpers.
And that's what it's all about Richard!

Considering my chrome bumpers, you probably still have more "protection" from parking lot dings than I have.
I always figured that my car was not made for crashes or dings at any speed.
But if shit ever does happen, I would say that it was great ride while it lasted.
Given a choice of my demise, I would prefer it to be in my Spider with a smile ear to ear than in a hospital bed. :wink:
Life is short, enjoy it to the max 'cause there ain't no replay or rewind. :mrgreen:
Dan
1968 124 Sport Spider
"Angelina"
2015 Toyota Camry XSE (hers)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (cottage toy)
http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/68spi ... t%20Spider
http://www.youtube.com/user/Coontache/videos
C130Gunship0514

Post by C130Gunship0514 »

We all have to realize that driving any "classic" is to assume a certain amount of risk, both personally and mechanically. I pushed in the oversized and over weight rubber bumpers on my 1978 Alfa Spider because it looked better and I also figured that in the "modern" automotive world they don't truly afford any real protection on a car that can fit under a Suburban anyway. My '78 124 Spider will be run without any bumper at all because I think it looks better, but I am also accepting of this risk...after all even without any bumper the Spider will still be a "safer" car than the 1961 Morris Mini I used to drive the Southern California freeways in during the 1990's!
DieselSpider

Post by DieselSpider »

Redline wrote:Even in the case of perfectly aligned bumpers, the oil-filled dampers in the tube bumpers are going to be effectively rigid in a high speed impact and just send the crash energy straight to the chassis.
Chassis? You mean the collapsible hollow sheet metal parts underneath that they put washers on to bolt things too? Remember that the 5 mph spec was that they had to 100% survive at least a 5 mph impact on them without being damaged or damaging the bodywork on the car however it was perfectly acceptable for them to do better. Beyond the 5 mph spec they collapse damaging the car while still offering the occupants some protection.

Even if they go rigid they do start the collapsing of the sheet metal behind them sooner and give you a few more inches before the dash and firewall collapses on your knees.

Many times the difference between walking away and being carried away with two broken legs, etc can be measured in inches or even fractions of an inch.

One of the main reasons I got the Spider is because I really do not like being inside a car and disconnected from whats going on around me after riding only my Aprilia to commute to work for several years now. With the top down the Spider is open and does not require a full faced helmet like the bike and when it rains it takes less time to flip the top up than to stop and put on a rain suite.

On the bike the difference between walking away and being carried away is most times a few fractions of an inch of CE3 armor in your jacket/pants, a decent helmet, gloves and boots. I just this summer had 45 mph incident on the bike due to a patch of light sand being blown across the road that I hit just wrong so that I went down and had the bike roll me as it passed over on top of me however those few fractions of an inch of protection allowed me to walk away without a trip to the ER. It does not take much protection to make a substantial difference in outcomes.

The bike only ended up with a broken turn signal lens that cost me less than $2 to replace however the paint is $150 a pint so I have not decided yet whether to go with a more common paint and redo the entire bike or just pay the X-Hundred for the touch-up paint (primer, base and clear coat). Its still rides perfectly and I may end up putting an accent color or some sticker over the road rash on the bike