hand brake cable question

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
mbouse

hand brake cable question

Post by mbouse »

sometimes i think we should have a discussion page just for brakes. here goes a question from me on this subject...kinda hard to believe, i know...

hand brake cable on the passenger side is poorly engineered to be routed right underneath the exhaust pipe, and eventually sits tightly ON the exhaust long enough to melt all of the rubber sheathing.

anyone ever come up with a good working solution to this problem? i am doing brakes this weekend, including a brand new hand brake cable. sure would be nice to insure that this is the last cable i buy for this car.
So Cal Mark

Re: hand brake cable question

Post by So Cal Mark »

I've seen them wrapped with heater hose, rubber sheath and asbestos sleeves. Then again, if you invest in one of my nifty, performance-improving exhaust systems there is plenty of clearance
kristoj
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider 2000 Turbo

Post by kristoj »

A short piece of silicone hose works well too.
John
'82 Fiat Spider Turbo
'56 Abarth 750 GT Corsa MM
'59 Lancia Appia GTE Zagato
'62 Lancia Flaminia 2.5 3C Convertible
'68 Lancia Fulvia Sport Zagato
'70 Moretti Sportiva S2
'12 Abarth 500
'59 MV Agusta 250 Raid

Pictures of my baby!
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

I wrapped mine with a length of header wrap. I don't want to hijack the thread but does the cable go over or under the long trailing arms? The drawings in the manuals are pretty small.
Curly
Your car is a: 1968 AC Coupe and a 1976 CS1 Spider

Post by Curly »

There should be a little right-angled tab on the underside of the trailing arm that the cable sits in. That being said - both my Fiats are lowered substantially and I find the cable runs straighter when positioned above the trailing arms. :roll:
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

i bought some asbestoes type sleeves that were intended for spark plug wire heat protection. I was just curious as to what everyone else tried.

and, to answer the question about over/under the trailing arms..... my '78 does over for the passenger side and under for the driver's side. brackets to hold the cable in place determine that. Is that because i have the wrong arm on one side or the other?
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

no, you have one arm on upside down
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

Oh.... which one? Now is the time to correct that situation.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

bracket should be on the bottom
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

thanks...

and matt, thanks for the hijack. i would never have thought that i needed to turn a trailing arm 180°
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

Well funny you should say that. On my 78 I have the original long arms. The tabs that are welded to the arms are not universally symmetrical if the arms are laying side by side. Its like they came up with one design and then instead of reversing it to the other arm they just said, reverse the arm itself.

For the owners of 78 and earlier cars I'm sure this is not the first time this confusion was noticed. From 79 and on, the arms are stronger and the clip design is universally symmetrical.