New Top Installation OTTAWA

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
4uall
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Pininfarina Spider 2000 F.I.

New Top Installation OTTAWA

Post by 4uall »

I have a new top from AR and I am looking at having it professionally installed 8) Before I venture down the path of woulda shoulda coulda I wanted to know what the thoughts and opinions were in regards to timelines, if I should prep prior to install, etc etc :? Currently $85/hr. If anyone is reading this in the Ottawa area looking to have it done this month prior to Montebello event so feel free to suggest locations if you have had good experiences, thanks
Jay

Fiona
1980 FI 2000 Spider
ITZEBTZE

https://goo.gl/photos/eNKaX7hrXhBu9fmp6

FINN (FN-2187)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
MYTHERPY
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Re: New Top Installation OTTAWA

Post by DieselSpider »

I was looking into this and the gypsy installers will do it in 4 hours at your location while they case the.... any ways they provide the top for the same prices as a 6 year Rollins and then charge $1,100 for the installation giving you a 2 year warranty on the top. Brick and mortar establishments keep the car for two days minimum and do all the basic prep and installation for $800 including the Rollins top with a 6 year warranty. The two days is to allow the top to stretch out and make any adjustments before it leaves their shop.

I am currently brushing up on my welding skills in case the front bow needs any attention and have a new top kit waiting for me to install sitting in the corner. Things have changed a bit since I learned to stick weld almost 50 years ago. At least I'll have converted an old bed frame into a welding cart for the wire feed welder if the bow does not require any work.

The used front bow I picked up was so bad that one side disintegrated the moment I started removing the remnants of the old top that was still on it and I hope mine is nowhere close to being in that condition. I was hoping to rebuild the used bow so I would not be several days without a top on the car while repairing the one currently on the car.
mattyd7
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Post by mattyd7 »

Why have it installed? It really isn't that tough, trust me! I didn't even have the advantage of taking off the old one to see how it fit on and everything, the car came to me sans top. I did it in an afternoon and it came out pretty near perfect. It was significantly simpler than I expected. It's pretty tough to screw up, because the front of the top is sewn so it fits on the front bow a certain way, and then the rear is sewn so it fits on that metal frame a certain way. The rest just drapes in between.

The only reason I'd pay someone else is if there was a lot of prep work to do on the frame, but you are talking about doing that yourself. The install is the easy part. I really don't know where they get off charging so many hours because I bet if I had to do it again now I could finish in 2-3 hours tops. Well...if the top has the strings sewn in to guide the wires.
seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: Fiat Spider - 1971 BS1

Post by seabeelt »

Jay, if you can do your front suspension, you can Definitely do this 8) . If by yourself, I would allow an afternoon. If you want to clean up the frame and paint, then allow the weekend. The top itself is no more than half a day. It is easier to get it on the front bow with two, considering the glue, but can be done solo. Just take your time. Also do it on a warm day so it stretches nicely.
Michael and Deborah Williamson
1971 Spider -Tropie’ - w screaming IDFs
1971 Spider - Vesper -scrapped
1979 Spider - Seraphina - our son's car now sold
1972 Spider - Tortellini- our son's current
4uall

Post by 4uall »

sooooo it's pretty much a no brainer at this point :roll: took Fiona in to get my quote and it was an experience :| I'll summarize by saying first he asked to see the new top, then insults it :shock: 2) then he gave me this story about brands/manufactures of tops etc. 3) then he brought out this book and according to the year and car it takes 5 hrs @$75/hr for professional installation 4) I am not allowed to do any prep and the kicker 5) if they run into any issues they still complete the install and just add to the total regardless if want to proceed or not :cry:

so yeah I'm going to try my best and see what happens :mrgreen:

Jay

Fiona
1980 FI 2000 Spider
ITZEBTZE

FINN (FN-2187)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
MYTHERPY
DieselSpider

Post by DieselSpider »

Got my EasyUp out of the closet, stopped by Joannes Fabric and found some thin vinyl to cover the front bow at half price and had a 25% off coupon on top of that and got some rust restoration primer too. I picked up a full yard of the vinyl so I will have the option of covering the front visors to match.

The used bow I got had some foam rubber padding on it which appeared to have contributed to the rust issues. Is there supposed to be 3/16" closed cell foam rubber glued to the top of the front bow?

I looked at a pdf of the body section of the manual however it was scanned in black and white so the pictures are just black blobs on the page and not of any use. Does anyone have a link to clear pictures of the cable attachment points and rear anchors. The top on mine was just slapped on without any rivets or cables and some parts appear to be missing too. The old top still contains the strings to pull the cables through. I am hoping that the rear anchors were not discarded.

If you remove the front bow to clean it up how bad is realigning it?

Some say the use of glue on the front bow is optional. Any experience going without glue on the front bow?

I purchased my CS1 top from The Convertible Top Guys as a kit with the instructions, plastic removal tool, glue and verbal instructions but they sent me a CS2 top by mistake however a quick email and they have cross shipped a CS1 top and will be sending a prepaid label for returning the CS2.
njoconnor
Your car is a: 1972 124 Spider

Post by njoconnor »

Interesting thread. Makes me realize how lucky I was here in WI.

The shop which reupholstered my seats, Vic's Upholstery in Madison, also does convertible tops. I asked Vic how much he'd charge for a new top and installation. He told me to go out on the internet and purchase "the best top you can find", 'cause it would be less expensive than purchasing a basic vinyl top from him. He'd then install it for $250 labor and materials, and it would take two days. Bought a Haartz canvas top from convertibletopguys, and had Vic install it last summer. I couldn't be happier. He also made up a new vinyl boot, matching the interior, for $150.

If you're anywhere near Madison, at least give Vic's a call.

I can't believe $75/hour plus all the snark they can dish. Let us know how the top turns out, Jay.

Neil
Neil O'Connor
Madison, WI
72 FIAT 124 Spider
12 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit
14 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Eco-Diesel
ex-71 FIAT 124 Coupe
and a host of Audi's, Saabs, VW's, MOPAR's, Fords, and a Bimmer....
4uall

Post by 4uall »

Diesel check out wachuko's post start at page 15 it has all the info :wink:

http://www.fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic ... stallation

may start on holiday monday and see how it goes 8)
Jay

Fiona
1980 FI 2000 Spider
ITZEBTZE

FINN (FN-2187)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
MYTHERPY
DieselSpider

Post by DieselSpider »

Got rained out Sunday and Monday so it will be another time. Need that big heat lamp in the sky to help with the installation.

Dutchmaned a section of a Bentwood Rockers armrest that the dog chewed out and repaired some tools instead.