Paint chips

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
rjkoop
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider

Paint chips

Post by rjkoop »

My '81 looks like it still has the original paint color. Although I can't find a paint sticker anywhere on the car, based on searches looks like it is Fiat Safari Ivory (code 285, DuPont code 44042).

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedi ... e&rows=150
http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/co ... _1981A.htm

Generally the paint is in good shape but I have a few chips (on the trunk, a few corners) that go right down to bare metal. I took off the gas filler cap and tried to visually match with the touch up paint all-in-one (ie. scraper, primer/paint and clear in one kit) but it wasn't even close when I tried it on the car. Also I couldn't fill up the chip enough to get it level with the surrounding paint. What's the best way to fix these chips so they look half decent? I just want to get the paint level and match the color fairly close.

I'm thinking...
1. Sand down previous touch up paint and surrounding surface
2. Mask area slightly larger than chip
3. Spray zinc primer - people mention 2k primer - try to build up surface to be level with surrounding paint
4. Sand (wet sand?) lightly with 600/800 grit to remove overspray and ensure surface level
5. Mask a slightly larger area around paint chip
6. Put on 3 coats of Fiat Safari Ivory
7. Spray on clear
8. Sand with 1500 then 2000 then 2500

Am I missing any steps? Should I use a higher grit than 800 when sanding primer or does paint cover the scratches anyways?

I don't have a proper sprayer. So I'll probably just get a spray can. Any recommendations on where to buy the paint? Or is it possible to just get a paint touch up kit in the Fiat Safari Ivory color?
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Re: Paint chips

Post by DieselSpider »

Get matching paint and apply it to the chipped area with the torn off end of a book match. Next morning a little gentle kiss with some fine wet sand paper and then buff it out.
Ptoneill
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider 2000

Post by Ptoneill »

You may want to try your local car parts place, we have several in WA that can color match off of the VIN....don't know if this is possible with a Fiat. They can also make a match using a sample maybe take off the gas lid and have them check, they will mix the paint and have it packaged in a rattle can.
Stay Safe,

Pat
79spider
HAVE FUN!! It's a FIAT!!
ptoneill@msn.com
http://s1121.photobucket.com/albums/l504/ptoneill/
rjkoop

Post by rjkoop »

Ptoneill wrote:You may want to try your local car parts place, we have several in WA that can color match off of the VIN....don't know if this is possible with a Fiat. They can also make a match using a sample maybe take off the gas lid and have them check, they will mix the paint and have it packaged in a rattle can.
In Ottawa we don't have many options but I've used these guys before.

http://www.mpsindustrial.com/

Think I'll bring in my gas cap cover and see what they can do.
rjkoop

Post by rjkoop »

DieselSpider wrote:Get matching paint and apply it to the chipped area with the torn off end of a book match. Next morning a little gentle kiss with some fine wet sand paper and then buff it out.
This sounds like a lot less work than what I was thinking about. :D
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

The original paint is not a clear coat so the old tried and true method used by detailers for years was the paper match method. I worked with a Sicilian named Giavanni who would spend an hour in the evening with his match book and then buff it out in the morning in a couple of hours leaving the car looking better than the day it came off the showroom floor.

There is a character around Tampa Bay that does hail stone repairs using a set of old putting irons he's modifed and he has taken cars that looked like they were left out on a driving range and smoothed them out with no torches, grinder/sanding or bondo. He did a co-workers Z28 about 8 years ago and it still looks as good as the day he went over it which was basically perfection. Steve the cars owner was in shock as he did not believe it would be possible to fix it without a full repaint. He spent hours looking for imperfections and never did find any.
rjkoop

Post by rjkoop »

Brought the car to MAX auto supply in Ottawa. They took a picture and got a great match to an Audi/Volkswagon color called Atlas White (code L91Z). Apparently the match was a 3 (1 is best but 3 is really good - I think it's out of 100!) so he said the match should be really close. So getting a spray can of that.

So if anyone is looking for a match to Fiat Safari Ivory the Altas white should be a pretty good match.

http://www.paintscratch.com/touch_up_pa ... -L91Z.html
Leighnes

Post by Leighnes »

Looking at the photo you posted Richard I am almost certain it is not Safari Ivory (Fiat code: 285) My 1976 was originally Safari Ivory and there is an area that is still has original paint. Ivory is best described as light beige. I will take a photo and post it later if you are interested.

Regards
Leigh
rjkoop

Post by rjkoop »

Leighnes wrote:Looking at the photo you posted Richard I am almost certain it is not Safari Ivory (Fiat code: 285) My 1976 was originally Safari Ivory and there is an area that is still has original paint. Ivory is best described as light beige. I will take a photo and post it later if you are interested.

Regards
Leigh
Probably not because mine was already repainted.

I think with a 34 year old car you might as well forget the original paint code and just get a shop to match it using their camera. Worked out fairly well for me.