Irs axle swap???? Do or don't?

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
Mrbimmerdude

Irs axle swap???? Do or don't?

Post by Mrbimmerdude »

Has anyone done a axle hub swap? If so to what? I'm looking into doing a 240sx axle but am curious if the rear hubs would need to be replaced since it'll be a half shaft set up.. Has anyone done this?? Or has anyone beefed up the guts to the stock one or anything at all... This is my first conversion and I'm going thru trial and error with the motor fitment as well as transmission.. I'm positive the drive shaft is going to be shortened.. And this is all due to the fact mine is not salvageable so I'm going a different route and saving what I can and enjoying the car while it still has metal on he car and I'll slowly fix the body. But finding out the 1583 motor is impossible to find replacement parts it's not going to stay in the car anymore.....

So any insight on doing this or to another stronger rear end would greatly greatly be appreciated!!!!

Thanks again all
Photos would be very helpful as well!!! :D
carl

Re: Irs axle swap???? Do or don't?

Post by carl »

You might consider a warmed over 2L motor from a 79 and later spider before you go down the slippery slope of engine chnages. The 2L will bolt right in with no mods needed. While I have no direct experience, the stock rear is allegedly good up to 150hp,

carl
v6spider
Your car is a: 4.3L V6 Powered 1972 124 FIAT Spider

Post by v6spider »

Lots of fabrication required to get the IRS to fit. Also the lug pattern is different as well. Simplest approach would be to find a 2L rear axle. It would bolt up.. As for the engine carl's suggestion is the easiest. I have completely swapped out my drivetrain for non FIAT components. Engine trans rear end and all. It was well worth it but if you are not a fabrication wizard I wouldn't attempt it. There is a LOT OF WORK there.. Anyway my experience with that..

Cheers!
Rob
http://www.v6spider.com
4.3L V6 Powered 1972 124 FIAT Spider
Mrbimmerdude

Post by Mrbimmerdude »

Yeah I started talking to some friends who are more mechanically inclined on this kinda thing.. I would go to a 2L but I just don't think it's going to suit my needs on what monstrosity I'm creating I need something to handle v8 power.. I had a rear end that can handle it up to 700... But I read into a irs and it's not for me.. So I'm booking for a solid live axle now. I read the 80s s10 fits but can't seem to find more information on it or anything else.. :/
v6spider

Post by v6spider »

Mrbimmerdude wrote:Yeah I started talking to some friends who are more mechanically inclined on this kinda thing.. I would go to a 2L but I just don't think it's going to suit my needs on what monstrosity I'm creating I need something to handle v8 power.. I had a rear end that can handle it up to 700... But I read into a irs and it's not for me.. So I'm booking for a solid live axle now. I read the 80s s10 fits but can't seem to find more information on it or anything else.. :/
I doubt the s10 rear end will handle the 700hp.. Plus that kind of HP will twist the spider up like a pretzel.. You'll need a tube frame in order to handle it as well. You making a pro Gasser drag car? Any who just my thoughts.. That's why opted for the 300hp v6 not much heavier then the twin cam either..BTW my v6 made my stock rear end into chunks in short time..

Cheers!
Rob
Mrbimmerdude

Post by Mrbimmerdude »

v6spider wrote: I doubt the s10 rear end will handle the 700hp.. Plus that kind of HP will twist the spider up like a pretzel.. You'll need a tube frame in order to handle it as well. You making a pro Gasser drag car? Any who just my thoughts.. That's why opted for the 300hp v6 not much heavier then the twin cam either..BTW my v6 made my stock rear end into chunks in short time..

Cheers!
Rob
Oh no no no me 700hp... I have a life wish it's like a death wish but I want to live lol. I'm just saying that the components I want to add can handle that amount. I'm shooting for 240-60ish at the most which is, a tune but a turbo 8psi build. Not so overwhelming for the motor just a little more than stock. I want it reliable but a tire destroying monster that can be driven on the street. Also if I get in any incident I can use it for other projects and still have the room for growth. I just am curious on the "how to"s of the swap and have yet to talk to anyone with a s10 that knows the breaking point. I know the stock rear end blows at 140-160hp.. Which isn't bad since it wasn't designed for more than that.

But this over all project sits at a stand still due to the rear end question.. I plan on posting more pictures as I create it and expect no less than everyone opinion to come flying haha!
v6spider

Post by v6spider »

Mrbimmerdude wrote: Oh no no no me 700hp... I have a life wish it's like a death wish but I want to live lol. I'm just saying that the components I want to add can handle that amount. I'm shooting for 240-60ish at the most which is, a tune but a turbo 8psi build. Not so overwhelming for the motor just a little more than stock. I want it reliable but a tire destroying monster that can be driven on the street. Also if I get in any incident I can use it for other projects and still have the room for growth. I just am curious on the "how to"s of the swap and have yet to talk to anyone with a s10 that knows the breaking point. I know the stock rear end blows at 140-160hp.. Which isn't bad since it wasn't designed for more than that.

But this over all project sits at a stand still due to the rear end question.. I plan on posting more pictures as I create it and expect no less than everyone opinion to come flying haha!
Then the s10 rear will do fine.. Just so you know this isn't a bolt up modification.. It requires creating link mounts on the donor rear end.. Also the lug pattern is different.. Talk to Brad302(I think that's his name..) he's the one with the 5.0 Ford mustang engine in his spider.. He is the one who did that swap.. Mine uses the Mazda rx7 GSL LIMITED slip rear disc unit with 3.90:1 gears.. Any rear end you use is going to require some fab work.

Good luck with your swap! If you need insight pm any time.. It's not an easy car to do a swap on.. Very limited on room.. You'll probably have to create room. That is what we have done, us guys who have swapped in different engines.

Cheers!
Rob