Sneak Preview-Short Shifter!

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
So Cal Mark

Sneak Preview-Short Shifter!

Post by So Cal Mark »

We have short shifters being manufactured and they should be in stock in about 2 weeks. This lever replaces both the upper and lower levers, eliminating the original chrome upper lever. The top is threaded to accommodate a shift knob without any adapters. The lower pivot ball is made of steel, so the weak plastic pivot of the original lever is no longer an issue. You can place an order now if you'd like to reserve one of these. Selling price $89 plus shipping

v6spider
Your car is a: 4.3L V6 Powered 1972 124 FIAT Spider

Re: Sneak Preview-Short Shifter!

Post by v6spider »

I like it . how much shorter is it?

Thanks,
Rob
http://www.v6spider.com
4.3L V6 Powered 1972 124 FIAT Spider
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

same length as the stock lower lever, without the chrome extension
Henryfiat

Post by Henryfiat »

I would like to reserve on. Just let me know when available. Thxs. Henryfiat
RoyBatty
Your car is a: 1975 124 Spider - 1971 124 Sport Coupe

Post by RoyBatty »

Hi Mark,
Would it be possible to make a thread on adapter that would allow the stock upper shifter tube with its rubber vibe dampers?
Or is the design of this part going to minimize the rattling that I've experienced with other short shifter mods?
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

this short shifter eliminates the upper chrome tube. A shift knob will thread directly onto the new lever. No more rattling! No more need for those tacky adapters that are held on with set screws
djape1977
Your car is a: 1970 fiat 124bc

Post by djape1977 »

have you considered that something that's stuck directly into the gearbox might get very hot?
RoyBatty
Your car is a: 1975 124 Spider - 1971 124 Sport Coupe

Post by RoyBatty »

I wouldn't think that heat would be any more of a problem with this part than it is worth the stock unit.
v6spider
Your car is a: 4.3L V6 Powered 1972 124 FIAT Spider

Post by v6spider »

djape1977 wrote:have you considered that something that's stuck directly into the gearbox might get very hot?
Seriously? I've been running a really short shifter on my t5 for years ... It barely gets warm.. I doubt the FIAT tranny is any different in that regard..

Rob
http://www.v6spider.com
4.3L V6 Powered 1972 124 FIAT Spider
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

short shifters are in stock now and available in our ebay store
mrspeed
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by mrspeed »

How long do these take to install? Do they need to be installed from under the car by dropping the transmission, or can these be installed from the cockpit of the car?

I installed the short shifter extension, which was easy enough, but not sure how difficult it is to replace that bottom part that comes directly from the transmission.
1975 Fiat Spider
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Post by azruss »

I've never install Mark's short shifter. However the base looks the same as the lower section of the OEM shifter. You will spend a few hours the first time through. you will need to remove the upper section on the old one 1st and this is done from the cockpit. The lower section is removed from underneath. remove the triangular plate. It is under spring tension, so remove with caution. Look at the condition of the other components to see if they need to be replaced with the new shifter. As I recall, you need to work around the driveline.
Carsten
Your car is a: 1973 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by Carsten »

azruss wrote:I've never install Mark's short shifter. However the base looks the same as the lower section of the OEM shifter. You will spend a few hours the first time through. you will need to remove the upper section on the old one 1st and this is done from the cockpit. The lower section is removed from underneath. remove the triangular plate. It is under spring tension, so remove with caution. Look at the condition of the other components to see if they need to be replaced with the new shifter. As I recall, you need to work around the driveline.
I installed a short shifter and it was noisy in 2-3-4 gears under acceleration both with and without the knob. I rechecked the installation and the set screws. It was too noisy for me so I went back to the stock shifter and all is well.
maxdog
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: 1979 spyder 124

Post by maxdog »

I spent hours under my car eliminating an annoying rattle .An absolute PITA job . I replaced the worn bits with a rebuild kit , added a missing anti rattle spring and fitted a short shift lever held on by grub screws .
The result is a much more precise shifter with no rattles .If I were doing it again I would start by fitting an anti rattle spring and short shift lever which can be fitted easily . before embarking on gymnastics under the car .!!!
Maxdog
jon8christine
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by jon8christine »

So what is the consensus from anyone that is running this Allison short shifter? How much work was it to install and did you like shifting with it afterward?