Starter issues

Gotta love that wiring . . .
whalford

Starter issues

Post by whalford »

Hi, I am new to the Fiat world, and after 3 weeks of blissful ownership, I have been introduced to the lovely electrical systems. I believe there is an issue with one or more of the connections at my starter. Specifically, there is a red wire that has come loose from the hot side and seems to be, at least in part, causing some electrical issues for me. My question is - what is the easiest way to get at the starter? it seems somewhat difficult to reach, and I was wondering if there is one approach that is easier than another.

Edited to include: 79 Spider, 5 spd.

Thanks,
-Bill
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Re: Starter issues

Post by rlux4 »

Being the first time you'll be doing it there really is no "easy" way to get to it. The two bottom bolts are accessible but the top one is hard to see, and hard to get to. You'll need to find the correct combination of extensions and universal for your ratchet. It's pretty much trial and error till you find the combination that gets up there. Onee you've done it though, it is one of those things that definately gets easier afterwards. Even putting it back on is easier because of the "first time" experimenting. It can be done without lifting the engine, or taking anything off. However, it is a tight fit and when you go to put it back up you'll wonder how it came out at all. But just keep trying to move it into different positions until the right one lets it go in.
Others may think it's easier with some things taken off to clear the area, I don't know, I did mine with everything in place.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

if you're just trying to view the connections, get under the car and look up from the left front corner past the oil filter.
whalford

Post by whalford »

Good deal, thanks for the replies. I am having some issues with grounding, so I am tryin to get a view of, or access to, those areas. Just need to get the damn thing home so I can jack it up to look from underneath!

Thanks again,
Bill
racydave

Post by racydave »

I had the same issues when I first got my Spider. Cleaning all the starter and alternator connections helped. Also I added another ground strap from the engine to the chassis. My wires to the ignition switch had poor connections at the connector at the steering colum also, they were brown, and burnt looking. Happy trails :lol: