Wind Deflector from Classic Additions?

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
KevAndAndi
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider 2000

Wind Deflector from Classic Additions?

Post by KevAndAndi »

Has anyone here purchased a wind deflector from Classic Additions? I think their price in British pounds translates to around $240, which is steep - but it does appear to be a quality product.

I'm interested in a deflector that would allow the top boot to be used. The IAP deflector's description says it's not compatible with the top boot.

https://www.classicadditions.com/pdf/ne ... 4-1014.pdf
Kevin
1981 Spider 2000
4uall
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Pininfarina Spider 2000 F.I.

Re: Wind Deflector from Classic Additions?

Post by 4uall »

Jay

Fiona
1980 FI 2000 Spider
ITZEBTZE

https://goo.gl/photos/eNKaX7hrXhBu9fmp6

FINN (FN-2187)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
MYTHERPY
4uall
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Pininfarina Spider 2000 F.I.

Post by 4uall »

Jay

Fiona
1980 FI 2000 Spider
ITZEBTZE

https://goo.gl/photos/eNKaX7hrXhBu9fmp6

FINN (FN-2187)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
MYTHERPY
KevAndAndi

Post by KevAndAndi »

Thanks, Jay. I saw those, but I was curious if anyone had had any experience with Classic Additions. I would guess not because they are in the UK. Not sure if I want to be the guinea pig or not! The Classic Additions design has pluses and minuses. The horizonal part that covers the rear seat area is nice for preventing stuff in the back seat from blowing around or out of the car. But it also would make the rear seat difficult or impossible to use, unless the horizonal portion folds up. I like to keep that rear seat as a third-passenger option for my 12-year-old.

I think I read that of the two Autoricambi versions, the "economy" is positioned closer to the backs of the seats. I can't decide whether I like or loathe the curvy shape. Does anyone have a picture of the "economy" on their Spider that they could share?
Kevin
1981 Spider 2000
spidernut
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider Automatic

Post by spidernut »

This is the economy deflector from Auto Ricambi. You can have the boot cover on, the screen can be adjusted for the top to go up and down, it can be moved forward and aft, the seats still can recline, and it can fold flat when not in use.

Pictures are posted on how it mounts in the thread referenced by 4uall

John G.
1979 Spider (Owned since 2000)
1971 124 Sport Spider (Owned since 2017)
1977 Spider (Sold 2017)
1979 Spider (Disposed of in 2017)
1979 Spider (Sold 2015)
1980 Spider (Sold in 2013)
1981 Spider (Sold in 1985)
2017 Spider (Owned since 2019)
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

I think any Spider wind deflector is incompatible with rear seat passenger use. The Classic Additions product appears identical to the German-made IAP version, which I have. Ironically, I also have an IAP boot cover, and it works with the deflector in place, contrary to their admonishment. The sections where the cover meets the mounting brackets requires the cover to be tucked under slightly, but without damage to the cover or deflector.

My only suggestion to IAP would be to replace the Nylock nuts with a similar fastener incorporating a short lever, so we wouldn't need to carry a 13mm wrench in order to raise and lower it.

For any deflector using mounting points similar to the IAP/CA installation, be aware that the shoulder bolt in the top frame was assembled at Fiat to be permanent. The nut on these bolts was dimpled after tightening to the correct position. I managed to salvage only one during my installation. Our vendors sell these bolts, and you should probably order two with your deflector; you will most likely need them.
btoran
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124 Sport Spider

Post by btoran »

i've got the miata windscreen with the customized brackets from a forum member here. i defintely cannot use the rear sit for the kids when the windscreen is on. fortunately, it comes on/off easily with two wrenches. I leave the brackets permanently attached (which does not bother back seat passengers) and just remove the screen itself.
1975 Fiat 124 Spider
KevAndAndi

Post by KevAndAndi »

spidernut wrote:This is the economy deflector from Auto Ricambi. You can have the boot cover on, the screen can be adjusted for the top to go up and down, it can be moved forward and aft, the seats still can recline, and it can fold flat when not in use.

Pictures are posted on how it mounts in the thread referenced by 4uall

Thanks very much, John. I think it complements the Spider's other curves. The other thread's pictures are of the one with the straight top, though. I guess they mount in the same manner, with the same brackets?
Last edited by KevAndAndi on Thu May 14, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin
1981 Spider 2000
KevAndAndi

Post by KevAndAndi »

baltobernie wrote:I think any Spider wind deflector is incompatible with rear seat passenger use. The Classic Additions product appears identical to the German-made IAP version, which I have. Ironically, I also have an IAP boot cover, and it works with the deflector in place, contrary to their admonishment. The sections where the cover meets the mounting brackets requires the cover to be tucked under slightly, but without damage to the cover or deflector.

My only suggestion to IAP would be to replace the Nylock nuts with a similar fastener incorporating a short lever, so we wouldn't need to carry a 13mm wrench in order to raise and lower it.

For any deflector using mounting points similar to the IAP/CA installation, be aware that the shoulder bolt in the top frame was assembled at Fiat to be permanent. The nut on these bolts was dimpled after tightening to the correct position. I managed to salvage only one during my installation. Our vendors sell these bolts, and you should probably order two with your deflector; you will most likely need them.

The photo on the IAP site seems to show the deflector with a vertical piece but not a horizontal piece. Does yours have a horizontal piece that covers the rear seat area? Does it fold up?

The Classic Additions folks just sent an email telling me that their vertical piece folds down, the horizontal piece folds up, and the deflector can be used with the boot in place.

Thanks for the tip about the bolts!
Last edited by KevAndAndi on Thu May 14, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
1981 Spider 2000
KevAndAndi

Post by KevAndAndi »

btoran wrote:i've got the miata windscreen with the customized brackets from a forum member here. i defintely cannot use the rear sit for the kids when the windscreen is on. fortunately, it comes on/off easily with two wrenches. I leave the brackets permanently attached (which does not bother back seat passengers) and just remove the screen itself.
Thanks. Maybe occasional back seat use with the deflector on is an idea I should dispense with.
Kevin
1981 Spider 2000
spidernut
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider Automatic

Post by spidernut »

It is a one-piece screen that can be tilted up or down. All the screens us the same brackets.

The IAP screen is significantly taller than the Auto Ricambi screen. If you look at the photos, you'll see how low the bottom edge sits on the IAP screen compared to the Auto Ricambi screen.

http://www.international-auto.com/roll- ... ectors.cfm

versus

John G.
1979 Spider (Owned since 2000)
1971 124 Sport Spider (Owned since 2017)
1977 Spider (Sold 2017)
1979 Spider (Disposed of in 2017)
1979 Spider (Sold 2015)
1980 Spider (Sold in 2013)
1981 Spider (Sold in 1985)
2017 Spider (Owned since 2019)
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020

Post by baltobernie »

KevAndAndi wrote:The photo on the IAP site seems to show the deflector with a vertical piece but not a horizontal piece. Does yours have a horizontal piece that covers the rear seat area? Does it fold up?
No, the IAP deflector I have matches the photo in their catalog. I'm not sure what benefit a horizontal component would provide.
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020

Post by baltobernie »

spidernut wrote:The IAP screen is significantly taller than the Auto Ricambi screen. If you look at the photos, you'll see how low the bottom edge sits on the IAP screen compared to the Auto Ricambi screen.
I think the top edge of both deflectors are the same overall height (just clearing the convertible top when raised). The Auto Ricambi deflector does appear to allow more room for rear seat items.

None of these aftermarket deflectors, IMO, compliment the lines of the Spider, but they do extend the driving season in many parts of the country, an make expressway driving more tolerable.
KevAndAndi

Post by KevAndAndi »

John, I like your seatbelts. Is that the actual belt or a sleeve over the belt?
Kevin
1981 Spider 2000
KevAndAndi

Post by KevAndAndi »

baltobernie wrote:
KevAndAndi wrote:The photo on the IAP site seems to show the deflector with a vertical piece but not a horizontal piece. Does yours have a horizontal piece that covers the rear seat area? Does it fold up?
No, the IAP deflector I have matches the photo in their catalog. I'm not sure what benefit a horizontal component would provide.
I think the purpose is to keep light, loose items from flying out of the back seat.
Kevin
1981 Spider 2000