What a Difference a Wind Deflector Makes! - Wow!

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
focodave
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000 F.I.

What a Difference a Wind Deflector Makes! - Wow!

Post by focodave »

I have been debating whether or not to install a wind deflector for quite some time.
My wife and I both were tired of arriving at our destination looking like we just got caught up in a tornado (yes, we both still have hair that is long enough to try to keep it "styled").
If I tried wearing a hat, it inevitably would continue to try to leave my head from being pushed up over the back of my head from all of the buffeting. (very difficult to steer, shift gears, and hold on to your hat with one of your hands all at the same time).
Then there was just the overall fatigue of being "beat up" by the back drafts, especially at 60mph(+) on longer trips.
I have read where people who have installed them say they will never remove them because they love them so much.
Well I am here to tell you that I am sold. I just bought one from AutoRicambi and I am 100% satisfied to the point that I just had to re-confirm what others have said about them, and to highly recommend this to all who are tired of the horrible wind buffeting our cars convey.
It makes such a remarkable difference in the whole driving experience that I almost don't know if I can put it in words.
You still get plenty of gentle breeze from the front, you can actually carry on a conversation without yelling over the wind, your hair (if you have any) stays relatively in place, your hat (if you choose to wear one) doesn't fly off from being pushed up and over the back of your head especially at 60mph(+).
I'll admit if I was bald, had a crew-cut, or very short hair, I probably would not be bothered by the buffeting. If I did not have to wear a hat to prevent sunburn to the top of my head, I also would not be too bothered by the buffeting.
My wife is ecstatic about the new pleasure we have found in our Spider. You know the old saying, "Happy Wife, Happy Life".
I added an extension bracket to both sides of the standard bracket to get the deflector a little closer to the back of my seats. My brackets bring the device about 3.5" closer to the headrests than the stock brackets.
1980 Spider 2000 F.I. (my hobby)
1970 MGB GT (my other hobby)
2008 Ford Expedition (daily driver)
2019 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Standard
2019 Harley-Davidson Iron 883 Sportster
81SPIDERMATT
Your car is a: 1981 spider 2000

Re: What a Difference a Wind Deflector Makes! - Wow!

Post by 81SPIDERMATT »

yes they are all that and more ... wish I knew you were curious ... you could have used mine anytime ... it makes a huge difference also trying to heat a top down drive on a chily night ......
focodave
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Post by focodave »

Hey Matt.
I did not know you had one.
They are, quite possibly, the best invention since toilet paper, sliced bread, etc.
Since it was 80 degrees today, the wife and I drove up the canyon. That very long stretch of route 14 from the Fort up to the canyon entrance, you know -- the 65mph stretch -- I could have done that all day with the wind deflector.
I also took her out on route 25 at 75 mph and the ride was equally pleasant.
Dam, I wish I had done this 3 years ago....
spidernut
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider Automatic

Post by spidernut »

If you had purchased the "economy" deflector from them, the brackets would have already been in the location that you now have. The more expensive wind deflector positions the deflector much further back than the economy one.

Congratulations on your purchase though...they make all the difference in the world and make the cars sooooo much more pleasant to drive.
John G.
1979 Spider (Owned since 2000)
1971 124 Sport Spider (Owned since 2017)
1977 Spider (Sold 2017)
1979 Spider (Disposed of in 2017)
1979 Spider (Sold 2015)
1980 Spider (Sold in 2013)
1981 Spider (Sold in 1985)
2017 Spider (Owned since 2019)
Holshot
Your car is a: 1982 TURBO Spider 1979 Spider

Post by Holshot »

Nice review! I've been on the fence on doing something like this... I do some highway driving from time to time and the wind just beats the heck out of you. The thing I don't like though are the esthetics. I think it kills the looks of the car. I know sometimes function trumps form but I dont know if I could get over the hit the car takes visually. Again, just my opinion. I also thought of possibly trying to make some sort of quick release that way at least when I'm just cruising around town or on the back roads I could remove it quickly and then for those longer highway trips re-attach it. Glad you're happy with it and maybe I'll have to try one out soon!
Giuseppe

1979 Fiat Spider
1982 Fiat Spider TURBO
1984 Pinninfarina Spider (gone but not forgotten)
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

I just put the sun visors up like in the picture at the top of the page and really do not note a problem even after a 3 hour trip on a 75 mph Interstate and I sit very tall with my head just barely clearing the fabric of the top when driving. My hair gets more mussed up by having the top up rather than having it down.

Is this mostly an issue that bothers those who removed the visors or leave them down?

It could also be the winged racing seats that I have creating an area of dead air around the driver with the wings coming up well above the shoulders.

Similar to these were put in by the previous owner and are huge when mounted in a Spider:

focodave
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Post by focodave »

Holshot wrote:Nice review! I've been on the fence on doing something like this... I do some highway driving from time to time and the wind just beats the heck out of you. The thing I don't like though are the esthetics. I think it kills the looks of the car. I know sometimes function trumps form but I dont know if I could get over the hit the car takes visually. Again, just my opinion. I also thought of possibly trying to make some sort of quick release that way at least when I'm just cruising around town or on the back roads I could remove it quickly and then for those longer highway trips re-attach it. Glad you're happy with it and maybe I'll have to try one out soon!
Hey Holshot,
The nice thing about this one is that you can lay it down by loosening just (2) 13mm bolts. It takes about a minute to do that, if you don't like the way it makes the car look when it is in the "up" position.
I would agree with you about aesthetics. My biggest concern was that this would ruin the look of the car. I keep a 13mm wrench in the glove box so I can lay the thing down when I want to.
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

What I'd like to find are 13mm Nylok nuts with a tang that would allow this procedure to be performed without tools.
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Post by htchevyii »

I bought on from Brady that fits my Autopower roll bar. Works great and blends in nicely!
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
kilrwail
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider

Post by kilrwail »

I choose to wear a toque instead. It protects my head from the sun, keeps my head warm if it's chilly out and won't fly off. The car's aesthetics are not affected, but my own aesthetics? Another story.

1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider - original owner
1977 Porsche 911S - track car
2022 Ram 4 x 4 - hauler
PCA National Instructor and Motorsport Safety Foundation Level 2 Instructor
spidernut

Post by spidernut »

This is Autoricambi's economy wind deflector in the down and up positions. I have nylon washers on it so I can tighten the bolts enough to hold it upright then lay it flat when I want it down. It eventually loosens, but I just carry a spare wrench to tighten it if needed. That pretty rarely happens since I drive with the wind deflector up 99% of the time. It is just too noisy and windy with it down.

John G.
1977 Spider (Sold 2017)
1979 Spider (Sold 2015)
LarryM
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider 2000

Post by LarryM »

With the deflector installed, can you put the top up?
Also, do you have to cut or modify the top boot?
Larry
focodave
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Post by focodave »

The top goes up and down just fine with no interference.
I have about 1" of clearance between the top of the wind deflector and the inside of the convertible top when it is in the up position.
I don't know about the top boot, since I don't have one -- but I am 99.9% sure you do not need to modify it either.
spidernut

Post by spidernut »

The boot will fit and the top goes up and down just fine if it is adjusted to the correct height.
John G.
1977 Spider (Sold 2017)
1979 Spider (Sold 2015)
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

Had a co-worker ask for a spin around the block in the Diesel Spider as I was leaving work today because he wanted to compare it to his Miata. His first reaction was to being swallowed up by the seats which made him look more like a toddler in his child safety seat. I took him around the block down a winding country road and he couldn't get over how comparatively devoid of wind noise the Diesel Spider was with the visors up and those crazy seats compared to his 2 year old Miata. He is seriously considering a Wind Deflector now but is not sure if they are available for his hardtop convertible. If he can't get the deflector he is considering visors that can flip up to the extent that those on the Spider do.

He just loved the diesel sound and was floored by the amount of room in the back seat area.

He was grinning like a kid when I dropped him off. It was a nice end to what had been a rough day in the office.