Electric Fuel Pump/Relay

Gotta love that wiring . . .
mattklatt

Electric Fuel Pump/Relay

Post by mattklatt »

Hey all,

I'm an amateur when it comes to car work so bear with me as I try and learn my way.
I discovered a little while ago that no fuel was being delivered to the carburetor and found an electric fuel pump. When cranking the engine, the fuel pump was not spinning or humming. After testing the pump using a battery, I found that the pump hummed/spun; so it is good.

I've read a little bit about a relay that I think is involved with this process. Is this what is likely the problem? I tried looking under the glove box, and pulled down the relay box or whatever but wasn't really sure what I was looking for or what to test, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
wizard124
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider FI

Re: Electric Fuel Pump/Relay

Post by wizard124 »

This the double relay. Pull the left connector and check voltage as follows:
1) Brown/white wire (88y) is hot at all times. If not, check the 16 amp inline fuse (separate from fuse box and behind dash);
2) Red/black (86a) is hot in Start;
3) Pink/black (86c) is hot in Start or Run.

If you don't read these voltages then you need to trace the wiring. Download here:
http://www.artigue.com/fiatcontent/Wiring_1980_1982.pdf

If this checks out, do this:
The Green/black (88d) wire supplies voltage to the fuel pump. In Start, this should be hot. You should be able to push the POS probe of a multimeter into the back of the connector block to check this. If no voltage then your relay is bad.
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Post by azruss »

I thought only FI cars used the dual relay. :?:
wizard124
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider FI

Post by wizard124 »

azruss wrote:I thought only FI cars used the dual relay. :?:
Yikes! In my rush to be helpful, I overlooked the word "carburetor". :oops:
jacobball2000
Your car is a: 1980 fiat 124 spider 2000

Post by jacobball2000 »

Look at the wiring in the pick compared what you wrote for the fuel pump wire. You will see the fuel pump wire is on pin 86c of the relay and not on 88d. And there's no pink/black wire only the red/black. If the wiring is incorrect how can you trouble shoot the fuel pump. What else is incorrect?
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

I discovered a little while ago that no fuel was being delivered to the carburetor and found an electric fuel pump.
Fiat installed electric fuel pumps on some carbureted cars. Some owners installed electric fuel pumps on cars Fiat delivered with mechanical pumps. To best assist this issue the year of your Spider would help. Do you know if the electric fuel pump is a modification to your car or if your car was delivered with an electric fuel pump from the factory?

As previously stated a carbureted Spider would not use a Dual relay. Dual relays are part of a Bosch fuel injection system.