Is Best of France and Italy a good place to Sell?

Shows, meets, organized drives, club info
fiasco
Your car is a: 1969 Fiat Spider

Is Best of France and Italy a good place to Sell?

Post by fiasco »

Many of you know a little about my car, though I haven't been real active on the forum for the last couple years. It's a '69 with an 1800, 95 amp alternator and electronic ignition. I put in Mark's replica 250 dash, and replaced the center console with a simpler setup. The paint is poor, but the engine, trans and mechanicals are strong. I have Mark's Monza wheels. And I'm now in the market to sell. I'm starting at an asking price of $4000 with room to negotiate.

So my question is whether the Best of France and Italy show in Encino in a couple weeks is a good place to sell this kind of car. Not a high-end show car, and not a low-end project car. It's a daily driver with plenty of upside, and plenty of room for improvement. It's an hour drive from my house to the show, and if I think it might sell, my wife would have to go as well just in case I need a ride home. I've never attended the show, so I don't really know what it's like.

So if there are any folks out there that have been to BFI - what do you think? Is it a good opportunity to sell a car like mine?

-- se

Steve Eubanks
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1969 Fiat 124 Spider AS | 2108 Fiat 124 Spider Classica | http://calstylestudio.com
SunnySideUp
Your car is a: SOLD

Re: Is Best of France and Italy a good place to Sell?

Post by SunnySideUp »

BFI is quite a showcase. You'll see a bit of everything from museum quality cars to some beaters that somehow manage to stay on the road. There are always a few cars for sale at BFI.

It couldn't hurt to go to the show and put a tasteful For Sale sign in it. Go for the fun but don't expect much action on the sales front. You will get exposure and probably an inquiry or two. Even if you don't actually sell it at the show you may get a call once you get home. Have some info cards/hand-outs available for people to take with them. If you still have the bumpers make sure to note that in the listing.

Try not to let negative comments received about your car effect you. You've done some desirable things to your Spider that people-in-the-know can appreciate. Even if your car was perfect someone would make a disparaging remark about it - probably out of jealousy or lack of education.
SunnySideUp
fiasco

Post by fiasco »

Thanks Sunny. It always surprises me when people on the forum, who presumably know what it's like to own one of these cars, rip on other people's cars. I see it all the time on tuner forums that are populated by teenagers and college kids, but this is usually a nicer neighborhood.

-- se
Steve Eubanks
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1969 Fiat 124 Spider AS | 2108 Fiat 124 Spider Classica | http://calstylestudio.com
4uall
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Pininfarina Spider 2000 F.I.

Post by 4uall »

JEEPER wrote:Picture dosn't do it jutice. The hood looks like crap as does the trim. I wouldn't even make an offer on it. Go to CREIGSLIST.
All your spelling errors aside, not sure why you feel the need to put down someone else's car :roll:

Steve, just ignore people like this. They just insult others to make themselves feel better about their own insecurities :wink:
Jay

Fiona
1980 FI 2000 Spider
ITZEBTZE

https://goo.gl/photos/eNKaX7hrXhBu9fmp6

FINN (FN-2187)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
MYTHERPY
DanD
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 spider

Post by DanD »

Anything special about the engine or suspension ?
fiasco

Post by fiasco »

DanD wrote:Anything special about the engine or suspension ?
Nothing in particular, other than it has an 1800 out of a '76, so a little larger than the standard the '69 would have had. Suspension is stock, but lowered by 1/2 a coil all the way around giving it the stance you see in the pic. All the suspension bushings were replaced when I bought the car from Mark Allison 3 years ago.

-- se
Steve Eubanks
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

that car has a 2L in it
fiasco

Post by fiasco »

So Cal Mark wrote:that car has a 2L in it
Well, you would know, since you put it in :D . I was always under the impression that it was an 1800, and obviously I can't tell the difference. What year car is it out of? Again, I always thought it was a '76, but that doesn't seem like it would be the right year for a 2L.

-- se
Steve Eubanks
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

I don't know what year the motor is but it is a 2L, with a 120 amp alternator and Computronix DIS ignition
RJ80
Your car is a: 1977 Lancia Scorpion

Post by RJ80 »

I'm probably going to bring my car to BFI with discrete sale information. I've been to the show the last five years or so and I don't think there's a lot of people bringing cash ready to deal then and there -- certainly no need to bring an extra person just to drive you home. As previous posters said, I think you could expect phone calls or emails in the week that follows if you provide contact info.
spiderrey
Your car is a: 70 124 spider-74x19-03 ranger edge

Post by spiderrey »

RJ 80, was that your black n silver car at the show today?
RJ80
Your car is a: 1977 Lancia Scorpion

Post by RJ80 »

spiderrey wrote:RJ 80, was that your black n silver car at the show today?
Nope, ended up not bringing my Spider after all, though I was at the show. I'll probably list it for sale in the coming weeks, just trying to find the best venue. It's a great car, I'm really only selling it so I can concentrate on my Fiat 850 Coupe. Too many cars, too little time.