Hazard Light is interesting . . .

Gotta love that wiring . . .
crafty
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Hazard Light is interesting . . .

Post by crafty »

After reading quite a few posts I have discovered that the hazard switch can be a peculiar little beast . .

On my 1981 CS0 when I indicate to the right the hazard light flashes in synch. All is good though when I indicate to the left. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Glenn.
mbouse

Re: Hazard Light is interesting . . .

Post by mbouse »

umm, maybe your car is specially wired to generate the results you have. naaaa....

I suspect that you have a grounding issue on your right turn signal circuit, and that the system is finding its own way back to ground by using the hazard circuit. Trace ever bulb on the right hand side of the car back to the ground wire...follow the ground wire to the grounding pod or body connection and clean it thoroughly. if any wire is suspect, replace it.

then, less likely, i would suggest someone tampered with the factory wiring loom for the hazard switch. a detailed analysis of the connections may be necessary. Do you have a wiring diagram? http://www.artigue.com/fiat/Pubs/Wiring_1980_1982.pdf

third, i'd suggest attempting a replacement hazard switch. the turn signal circuit will not work without this switch in the circuit, so a malfunctioning hazard switch could cause these issues.
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

My guess (note "guess") is that the problem is not at the switch. The light comes on when you turn on the driving lights (indicator lights without headlights). Could be at the front bulb socket, at the tail light circuit board, or wiring, but somewhere you have a cross over connection feeding 12V back to the switch. It's going to be fun to find, I spent a whole weekend getting those circuits straightened out.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

If you look at the diagram Mike suggested, you'll notice that the hazzard circuit preceedes the directional signals. In other words, juice goes thru the hazzard switch before going to the turn signal switch. Knowing this, you can imagine how defects in the hazzard switch can create havoc. Early Spiders are even more squirrely, with the turn signal switch also energizing the left or right parking lamp to comply with nightime on-street parking regulations in Europe.

I'll be rewiring my '73 later this year with an American fuse block and harness. Watch this space for schematics and pictures.
adrians
Your car is a: 1981 Spider Turbo - missing the turbo

Post by adrians »

Crafty

I can lend you my spare hazard switch so that you can test it in your car.

Regards
THE FLEET
2014 Abarth "SS"
1981 Spider 2000 (Legend Industries Turbo - minus the Turbo)
1978 X1/9 1.3 Dual IDF 40's, Coupe Cam, Allison Header/Exhaust
1971 128 Sedan 1100cc, Coupe Cam/Headers
Motokhana Special 127 rear engined Rail 903cc
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

now that is a friend!

btw, I keep a spare in my tool box in the trunk.
http://flumichigan.italiancarclub.com/T ... switch.pdf
crafty
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by crafty »

Reading back over my post, I don't believe I was clear enough in my description. (usual complaint of my wife's as well . . probably quite valid). Anyhow, it is the actual switch in the dash that flashes in synch. The exterior indicators behave themselves perfectly.

Thanks so far for your responses.
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

the round red light in the center of the dash flashes when you indicate a right hand turn.

this is not supposed to happen. I suspect that the hazard switch is defective.
bradartigue
Your car is a: 1970 Sport Spider

Post by bradartigue »

This is also common when using the wrong light bulbs in the lights themselves, or when the rear ground wire is bad (specific to Spiders with the big tail lights like the 2000). I'd change the switch and see if that fixes it then move to the lights.

For example, On my Alfa if you put the wrong kind of bulb (say a single element) on the left side of the car it affects the way the right side works.

crafty wrote:Reading back over my post, I don't believe I was clear enough in my description. (usual complaint of my wife's as well . . probably quite valid). Anyhow, it is the actual switch in the dash that flashes in synch. The exterior indicators behave themselves perfectly.

Thanks so far for your responses.