Ignition Switch or Starter Problem?

General chat about the car goes in here.
STP

Ignition Switch or Starter Problem?

Post by STP »

So after of months of bugging my wife to let me buy a spider and several more months searching I finally find the right car. It starts fine for two weeks after I get it and then last night I turn the key and the car starts but is running rough - I turn off the key and it sounds like the starter motor continues to run. At first it was a fairly quiet sound, then it got louder and sounded like gears grinding and some smoke came from the engine compartment. I disconect the battery and it stopped. When I reconnect the battery the engine starts turning over. Is this a bad ignition switch?
pertyfly

Post by pertyfly »

From what I know, it's possible. But I don't know the likelihood of this compared to a short in the starter itself. I would think a short in the starter would be more likely (in my opinion based on other cars)

Now, to check this...

At the top of the starter, there will be a trigger wire that gets the signal from the ignition. It's just a slide on spade type connector. Unplug this making sure it doesn't ground to any metal ground. This will ensure the ignition is effectively unable to control the starter. At this point connect the battery again. If the starter spins, it means it's a problem with the starter (a short inside, etc). If it doesn't spin, then you have power to the starter trigger when it shouldn't be (possible ignition).

Hope this helps

EDIT: Also check to make sure that there's nothing possibly shorting that little trigger wire lead or connector to the main power cable which is the large on below it. That could definitely cause this as well.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

low voltage to the starter can also cause this; the solenoid stays energized. If the starter ran long enough to let the smoke out, it may have fused the contacts in the solenoid together or fried the windings in the starter.
You need to test the battery and alternator as well as the starter now
STP

Post by STP »

Thanks for the feedback.

I will try to isolate the problem as sugggested by taking off the trigger wire.

Mark, what causes low voltage to the starter and how is this corrected?

Steve
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

a weak battery is usually the culprit, but a voltage drop can occur through a loose or corroded connection