Rear Seat Belt Mounting

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
phaetn
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat Spider 1800

Re: Rear Seat Belt Mounting

Post by phaetn »

I was using this post as a guide to drill holes to fit lap belts for the rear and was lucky. Turns out there were already threaded holes in my '74!

It has both a hole behind the front driver and passenger seat in the floorpan (with longitudinal tabs under the car) that were originally designed for a lap belt anchor, which then used an L bracket for the 90 degree turn by the rocker on each side, respectively, and then the other side was just simply attached by a mounting point within the transmission tunnel.

Here's the rear mounting point:

and a view from under the car:
Note that this is *stock* and already on the car from the factory.

I used those to install a four point harness for the driver (mounted at three points through use of a Y belt) and a 3 point retractable belt for the passenger, appreciating that ideally the mounting point should be higher than the shoulder. That's not going to happen without a roll bar. I understand that in a front impact a lot of force is going to be transferred through the seat back by the belts and that it's just going to bend... that's better than no force at all which is the scenario with just lap belts...

(I still have to install a shoulder guide on the passenger side.)

In pulling out the back seat, the mech discovered four holes. I hadn't spotted them at first, likely because they were full of dirt, but they were there. He tapped them to clean up the threads and we're good to go. :) Just in time, too, because I'm taking my girls along for the local Italian car parade this Saturday.

Purchased the three point belt for the passenger front and rear lap belts at Seat Belt Planet.

Edit:Added pics.
Last edited by phaetn on Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1974 CS1
32/36 DFEV; CompuTronix ign.
9.8:1 c/r; 40/80 intake cam w/ Isky springs
Vicks' SS header & adj. cam pulleys
A/R's progressive coils, Koni Yellow dampers
205/50-15s on CD-66 style rims
Momo wheel, Corbeau seats w/ 5 pt belt
pics and HD vids
4uall
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Pininfarina Spider 2000 F.I.

Post by 4uall »

Awesome! See you tomorrow :mrgreen:

Jay

Fiona
1980 FI 2000 Spider
ITZEBTZE

https://goo.gl/photos/eNKaX7hrXhBu9fmp6

FINN (FN-2187)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
MYTHERPY
Lckitty
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider 2000

Post by Lckitty »

I just added a lap belt to the passenger side back seat today. I've got twin 10 year old boys so now we're all set to go. Well, nowhere special due to covid but a drive nonetheless.
Much thanks to all for the info and pictures here! A couple of photo prints and I went at it confidently. Huge help and shortened the time immensely.
Current Stable: Lotus Evora, Fiat 2000, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jaguar XF-R