Lowering Convertible Top - How To?

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
camsam77

Lowering Convertible Top - How To?

Post by camsam77 »

Hello to All,

This may seem silly but I am a new owner of a 1977 Fiat Spider and don't know anyone near me with one. It would seem that lowering the convertible top would be a fairly simple operation, but mine does not want to go down completely for some reason. Can anyone provide instructions as to what I should be doing in particular to ensure that the top goes down fully? Does anyone know of any video out there that I could watch. The side windows seam to go into their compartments well. I will try to lubricate all the hinge points, but I don't believe that is the issue. I know this is a tuff one without seeing it, but maybe there is a common problem that someone could point out? Thanks! Cam
nate302

Re: Lowering Convertible Top - How To?

Post by nate302 »

camsam77 wrote:Hello to All,

This may seem silly but I am a new owner of a 1977 Fiat Spider and don't know anyone near me with one. It would seem that lowering the convertible top would be a fairly simple operation, but mine does not want to go down completely for some reason. Can anyone provide instructions as to what I should be doing in particular to ensure that the top goes down fully? Does anyone know of any video out there that I could watch. The side windows seam to go into their compartments well. I will try to lubricate all the hinge points, but I don't believe that is the issue. I know this is a tuff one without seeing it, but maybe there is a common problem that someone could point out? Thanks! Cam
Unhook both top latches (near the visors) and push the top up and back. If the top will not go down, check to make sure the small rear triangle shaped windows aren't being blocked by something. The back pockets are where the windows reside when the top is down. Sometimes as well if the metal structure that the top is adhered to is rusted, it can also "freeze" up the top. Hope this helps :)
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

Make sure the top, and especially the rear window, fold smoothly. If they get all wrinkled up it will keep the top from going down all the way.
To keep the rear window from getting rub marks lay a towel on the rear seatback and another one inside the rear window as it is folding, so it does not rub on itself.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
camsam77

Post by camsam77 »

Many thanks for the hints!
FiatJB

Post by FiatJB »

Most of all, once you have it working well, do not attempt to use the handle in the middle of the top on the inside to raise and lower it while sitting in the car. All those pics you see of bent seats are typically the result of someone doing just that. Weak metal in the seat frames, weight back and twisted from the waist to the shoulders, the resistance and weight of the top and ...the seats warp/bend
Stand outside of the care when lowering and raising the top
mookie
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by mookie »

Definitely good advice.