1981 Fiat 2000 Spider Fuse Box

Gotta love that wiring . . .
laforzaland

1981 Fiat 2000 Spider Fuse Box

Post by laforzaland »

I just purchased an '81 Spider and found out that half of the fuse terminals in the fuse box are not geting power. Is there an on-line resource that shows the electrical layout of the fusebox wiring? ANy ideas on where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks!
Danno

Post by Danno »

well, here is a start for information. let me see what actual diagrams I have for ya!

http://users.chartertn.net/jseabolt/elect.htm
laforzaland

Thanks

Post by laforzaland »

Danno,

I did have the opportunity to read the URL that you were kind enough to provide, thank you. Eventhough the URL talks about electrical issues, I can't see how only some of the fuse terminals are "HOT" and other are not. I was under the impression that the fuse box was fed directly from the battery. This is why having electrical diagrams would be beneficial at this point. I believe that I will need to trace each circuit from point of origin to the fuse box to determine where the problem lies.

If you are able to locate any electrical diagrams for an 81 Spider... I would be interested in looking them over.
Danno

Post by Danno »

oh yeah, I'm able to locate them. I just scanned them all for you. I'm trying to get them saved into PDF format so it's not 18 different picture files... If nothing else I'll send them directly to you, but the plan it to make it available to everyone in a few minutes (or hours as my luck seems to be!).
dominik

Post by dominik »

Hi laforzaland,

it could be possible, that the contacts are oxidated. Clean them up and change the fuses. This could solve a lot of electrical problems. Here in Germany we often have electrical probs which results from a bad contact. Also to the ground.

It could be possible that I have a electrical plan in pdf. If you like I will send it to you.

Greets
Dominik
Danno

Post by Danno »

http://www.danielreinhardt.com/fiat/ServiceManual

I'll just leave a link to that directory, cause I intend to add more of the manual when I get to it.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

most of the fuses are not fed directly from the battery, most are fed thru the ignition switch
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

Sounds like a good candidate for BROWN WIRE SURGERY.
Danno

Post by Danno »

Danno wrote:http://www.danielreinhardt.com/fiat/ServiceManual

I'll just leave a link to that directory, cause I intend to add more of the manual when I get to it.
Just so you know the electrical diagram is at that link above. I'll eventually get around to the electrical "chapter" in the service manual. Right now It's just the Engine chapter, but that's 170 pages, so that was a feat in itself.
parottthead

Post by parottthead »

Danno,
This resource is awesome!
Thanks for doing all that work.
The next time you are in Knoxville the first round is on me.

Brian
Danno

Post by Danno »

parottthead wrote:Danno,
This resource is awesome!
Thanks for doing all that work.
The next time you are in Knoxville the first round is on me.

Brian
Heck, that's reason enough for a road trip!!!
John Donohue

Wiring diagrams on CD

Post by John Donohue »

I bought a CD on Ebay for really cheap, which has the wiring diagrams for my car - that is another way to find what you are looking for, if you cant find it for free here. Good luck - if it wasnt for wiring, I would be driving right now. :)
cocobolo

Post by cocobolo »

Hetre's something that noone has thought of. When checking power to the Fiat fuse box, some of the fuses, like all 4 of the headlight fuses, get no power until the lights are actually turned on. Once you turn the lights on, check fuses E & F. There will be power there. Switch to high beams, then check fuses C & D there will now be power there.